pastorshane

Thursday, January 12, 2012

George Strait's Guitar

I like George Strait's music.

And if confession is good for the soul, I confess that I even liked his movie, "Pure Country". I wouldn't give it 5 stars but I would give it more stars than Kevin Costner's "Waterworld" movie disaster. Sorry, I digress.....

Anyway, I have watched Mr. George Strait perform many times (on TV - unfortunately never in person) and I have noticed that George packs his guitar around but seldom strums it.

I have personal knowledge that he can play the guitar because he played it a great deal in "Pure Country". But when he performs on stage, the guitar has the same role as his hat, his belt buckle, and his Wranglers. These items are props that he uses to identify himself as a cowboy.

I realize that if I have a point, I better get to it quickly before my readers jump ship.

Christians tend to use their Bible's like George uses his guitar. When you see George with his guitar, you know he is a country singer and about to perform. When you see a Christian with his Bible in hand, the odds are, he is about to perform.

This is not to say that the Christian can't open his Bible and use it effectively, but using it isn't a necessity for convincing everyone that he is a spiritual heavy weight with God.

Here is the problem. The Bible is God's Word. God conveying His thoughts to you. God loved you enough to send His only Son to die a painful, publicly humiliating death.

Just as George can play the guitar and move my soul with his music, so God's Word can strike a cord in your soul and move you closer to the Creator of the universe.

My challenge for you is, "Don't carry your Bible around as a prop. Recognize it for what it is and respect it's power and authority."

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" Hebrews 4:12

“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1