pastorshane

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Humpty Dumpty

Here it is January 5th and the sun is shining, birds are singing
and my wife wants to go for a walk.
The one positive thing about winter is, you celebrate nature in front of the fireplace with a hot cup of coffee in hand.
However, it is hard to argue with someone who is right, so hi-ho hi-ho and down the road I go.
We usually walk down to the Columbia River, which is straight down (good) and then straight uphill home (not so good).
Today for a change, she had mercy on me and marched me down the flat highway for about a mile. I paced it off as 4 miles but she insisted it was only 1.
Anyway, we are on the homeward stretch of road, I can see the finish line when,
I step in a hole and fall down.
If I were a gymnast in the Olympics, my tumble would have rated at least a 9.7, except of course from the Russian judges, who always mark the U.S. down a few points.
I fell so far, I actually managed to hit my head. Yea, the good Lord knew I needed some humbling. Mission accomplished.

So as I am floundering like a fish out of water, trying to get back on my feet, I'm reminded of Proverbs 24:16 NKJV, "A righteous man may fall seven times and rise again..."

At this point I am torn between trying to not look like an idiot in front of my wife (too late), and pondering the ramifications if I decide to stay down and catch my breath (the righteous man gets back up - so what do you call the guy who doesn't get up?).

Muhammad Ali once said, "The winner is the last guy to get up".

Have you ever fell and looked like a total klutz and then in your exuberance to get back on your feet before anyone notices, end up over correcting and doubled your klutz factor? Don't lie, that's a sin.

Now you are patiently waiting for me to make a wise spiritual application for this absurd story. Confidently waiting for me to give you a gem of truth that will assure you that the last 5 minutes of your life was not wasted while you read this, right?

Jude 1:24
"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
      and to present you faultless
      before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
      God our Savior"

Three preachers were spending some time at the lake, resting, fishing, and trying to relax. One of the preachers had a confession to make. “Since we’re told to confess our faults to one another, I have something I need to get off my chest. I have a weakness for alcohol. It’s been a temptation for years, and many times I’ve given in to it, but I feel so much better for sharing this with you.”

Then the second preacher spoke. “I, too have a weakness. I smoke cigars on occasion. I know that it’s not honoring the temple of the Lord, but it’s a recurring problem that I haven’t been able to conquer.”

And then the third preacher spoke. “Frankly, fellows, I have a problem with gossip and I can hardly wait to go talk to others about this meeting."