pastorshane

Monday, January 16, 2012

Attitude Check

I was one of those kids that spent a couple weeks every summer at church camp.

No, it was not a dismal experience. In fact, I loved it. I do not have one negative memory of church camp. From the amazing unlimited Friday night taco salad to the Christian college singing group. I was at the height of my glory.

Anyway, when you get 300 kids running around the woods, conflict is inevitable. So when a camp counselor would see a couple of us acting stupid, he would yell, "ATTITUDE CHECK", and the only acceptable response was, "PRAISE THE LORD".

So if you have a vivid imagination, you can imaging how much work it was to get a 13 year old kid to yell, "PRAISE THE LORD" at the top of his lungs. However, the threat of the camp counselor calling my dad in Colville and having him drive to Tonasket to pick me up, was a "scared straight" experience that gained my compliance.

"Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." Philippians 2:14-18

So my challenge to you today is, "When you feel your buttons being pushed and your temper starting to take control, yell, 'PRAISE THE LORD".

When you feel depression starting to swallow your soul, yell, 'PRAISE THE LORD".

When you see financial demands absorbing your income with no room to breathe, yell, 'PRAISE THE LORD".

How can you do this without being a hypocrite or certifiably insane?

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28

"in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:37-38

My point is this, God's Word is full of eternal promises that you can cling to and claim as your own. For a practical exercise, insert your name in these verses.

Pastor Shane's Paraphrase of Ephesians 1:11-12
"In Jesus, I was chosen for God's plan, who works out everything to conform with His will, in order that I might live for the praise of God's glory."

So your homework is to go and find your own promise to claim from the Bible. Rewrite it with your name in it and claim it as your own personal promise from God Almighty.

Then, when life gets tough and the Holy Spirit brings this blog to your mind and yells, "ATTITUDE CHECK". You will, in the power of the promises from God's Word yell back, "PRAISE THE LORD".