pastorshane

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sheer Pin

I think winter gave us another "head fake" last night.

You know, when someone moves their head one direction in an effort to lure you that direction, only to have them spin around and run the other way.

Well, that is exactly what I think winter is doing. You spent all morning shoveling and plowing. Only to find that by late afternoon, it was warming up and the snow was melting. The exciting thing about living here is, there is no telling what the weather will do next. Watching the weather forecast holds a great deal potential for a good laugh. The best they can do is hang their heads out the window and tell you what they see. And no two winters are alike so, hang on and enjoy the ride. Variety is the spice of life.

A few years ago, we experienced a very impressive winter. The snow piled high and there wasn't a snowblower to be purchased anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. So, the next year, my wife and I purchased a snowblower. My first snowblower. To say I know very little about snowblowers, would be gracious.

Of course, we haven't had enough snow since then to justify our purchase. However, this morning, we fired up the beast and my wifey took it for a test lap around the driveway. I noticed that very little snow was blowing out the chute. So I got around in front of it and sure enough, only half the auger was turning.

I did a quick diagnostic and found a large rock jammed in the chute. This caused the sheer pin to do its job and my beastie snowblower was out of commission until I get into town and purchase a replacement pin.

What, pray tell, can a simple sheer pin have to do with God's Word or your life?

Lets begin this with a thought to ponder: "God built each of us with a sheer pin. A device that is designed to stop us when we have over extended ourself. When we have reached beyond what is healthy and reasonable, our system breaks down and we are forced to step back and assess our situation."

Three years ago, I managed to push myself to the point of my health failing. I refused to take a day off and continued to pack my schedule from early morning to late at night. For my own good, God allowed me to become sick. I had to take a Sunday off and stay in bed. For the better part of a week I slept. When I got to feeling better, God opened the door for my wife and I to have a long talk about my health, my schedule, and our relationship. Some very positive things came out of that "long talk".

I worked in the Stevens County Jail for about 15 years. I liked the job security. I liked the Sheriff. I liked the benefits. I received a promotion, that I liked. And I really liked the money. God had other plans for me and allowed my sheer pin to do its job. I was on the receiving end of an inmate attack and sustained a serious injury. My injury required spinal fusion surgery. I tried to go back to working in the jail but God had an opinion.

My neurosurgeon explained to me in no uncertain terms that if I went back into the jail and was hurt again, the results would be crippling and terribly painful. I believed him. So, rather than trust God to take control, I transferred to 911. I honestly loved working in the 911 Comm Center. I liked my coworkers and the work was never dull. However, once again, God was trying to get my attention. This time the sheer pin was more personal. God removed my joy. True Joy is a God given, supernatural gift that supersedes circumstances. It didn't matter that I was married to the most amazing woman or that I really enjoyed my job. My life held no joy. This was the sheer pin God used to get my attention.

So, I shared my "sheer pin" stories with you. When you look at your life, what did God do to shut you down and get your attention? Maybe that sheer pin event in your life is still going on. Is God trying to get your attention?

Today, I had a decision to make. I could have rebelled, bowed my neck and refused to accept the sheer pin setback. I could have continued to drive around the driveway with the motor running, the wheels turning but no snow being moved.

Is it possible that God is to the point in your life that He feels the only way to get your attention is to break your sheer pin?

"When I said, “My foot is slipping,”
   your unfailing love, LORD, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me,
   your consolation brought me joy
."
Psalm 94:18-19