pastorshane

Monday, January 23, 2012

Will You You Make A Difference

If you only pay attention to one blog this year, please let it be this one.

This is a topic that each one of us will brush up against and our response will have a life long impact. So settle back and open your mind as we broach a topic that none of us are comfortable with.

I have had a surprising number of people in distress, contact me because their teenage daughters are pregnant.

What are they supposed to think?

What is a God pleasing response?

I will give you a couple things to prayerfully consider.

LESSON: God wants each of us to be a "bridge builder".

"and some have compassion, makes a difference"
Jude 1:22 KJV

There are a few times in life when we only have a split second for us to react, and our response leaves a life long impact.

Perhaps the key to this is, ACT, thoughtfully with prayer, not REACT, out of anger and pain. There comes a time when God calls you to reach beyond yourself and step out of your comfort zone and do what is best for someone else.

This requires us to demonstrate a God pleasing type of love. A good definition of this caliber of love is: "Giving someone what they need the most, when they deserve it the least, at a great personal cost to you".

When a teenager comes to you and reveals that she is pregnant:

My advice is, don't say the first thing that comes to your mind.
My advice is, in your heart, ask God to give you wisdom (James 1:5).
My advice is, remember that God has brought you her to you for counsel.
My advice is, avoid (at all costs) playing the "Blame Game".
My advice is, LISTEN more than you SPEAK.
My advice is, whatever you say, make sure it pleases God (John 8:11)
My advice is, remember, this is NOT about you, it is about her.
My advice is, encourage her to talk to her pastor for guidance.
My advice is, build a bridge so she can come to you tomorrow.
My advice is, begin your conversation in prayer, ask for God's wisdom and blessing.
My advice is, IF you are talking to the young man, send him to his pastor ASAP.

I have noticed that it takes a wise person to know which bridges to burn and which bridges to build. Often you have a split second to decide which you are going to do.

"there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul"
Psalm 142:4

"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another"
John 13:35

The ball is in your court,
what will you do.....