pastorshane

Monday, September 29, 2014

Old Dogs and Fall Leaves



Old Dogs and Fall Leaves

We have an old geriatric pug named “Bubba Joe”. 

Bubba Joe is more Heinz 57 than pug ~ he is just enough pug put to curl his tail ~ then the rest a little bit of this and a little bit of that. 

Bubba Joe was a pet rescue out of Seattle.  His owners grew old and his sister passed away from cancer. So His owners dropped him off at the Vet and we ended up with him. 

 I have no idea what kind of “city dog” Bubba Joe was ~ but he adopted quickly to country life. 

It took him all of 10 minutes in the country to discover his deep seated affection for deep scat.  As disgusting as it sounds ~ a fresh pile of deer scat makes his day and keeps him busy for hours.  The vet says it won’t hurt him so “go wild”. 

Lately the weather has cooled and the large cottonwood trees have been shedding it leaves.  This is Bubba’s favorite time of the year. 

I let him out to “do his business” and he disappears every single time.  Bubba will find a dry patch of grass covered in leaves and plop down.

I watched him yesterday afternoon as he laid in his favorite spot ~ munching on “deer treats”.  His head rolled back and his face faced directly into the sun as he breathed the fresh cool air.  This was a dog completely at peace with the world and enjoying his station in life.

Eventually it was time for the old timer to come into the house ~ so I wandered out to disturb his solitude.  He refused to get up.  He was content right where he was at. 

So I gently lifted him into my arms and his head remained rolled back as he deeply inhaled the fall breeze.  I followed his lead and raised my eyes to the heavens and took a deep breath. 

Perspective touched my soul as I realized my schedule was intruding on my friend’s season of joy.  In a moment of clarity, I laid my friend back on the grass and left him for another 30 minutes of …..
whatever it is that warms an old dogs heart.    

As I watched Bubba in his moment of peace ~ I asked myself what in my life brings me that level of peace and contentment.

My old friend brought tears to my eyes as I recognized the wisdom in his simplicity. 

“The wild animals in the fields will thank me,
    the jackals and owls, too,
    for giving them water in the desert.”
Isaiah 43:20 NLT

Monday’s Prayer:
“Father, please allow me to see today from Your perspective. This upcoming week is packed with challenges and difficulties ~ but my old friend Bubba has reminded me how important it is that I don’t get so busy looking ahead that I neglect to look up.  So today, I will lay in the grass and listen to the fall leaves rustle.  As the cool fall wind softly moves through the trees, I will quietly spend time in Your Presence. May Your Spirit draw me close today and allow me to experience Your joy and peace. Amen!”

1 comment:

  1. There is an old hymn that resonates with my soul this morning.... "Turn your eyes upon Jesus".
    O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!

    CHORUS:
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
    Look full in His wonderful face,
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
    In the light of His glory and grace.

    ReplyDelete