pastorshane

Monday, January 30, 2012

Talking to Dogs

This morning as I attempted to make coffee and fix breakfast, my pugs remained underfoot. They were like VISA, they were everywhere I wanted to be.

I found my vocabulary limited to, "Stop", "Move", "No", and "Don't even think about it". As the morning wore on, our conversation remained the same, the words were just in a different order. At some point, after stepping on Bubba for the forth time, I used a unique combination of all the words in one long run on sentence. Which he failed to understand the language but fully grasped the concept.

Daisy on the other hand, believes that she is more devious. Of course her devious is what I call obvious. She is terrified that a tasty treat will fall from my hand and land close to Bubba. Which would put her at a disadvantage, causing her great consternation. I actually believe it keeps her up at night, fretting about this injustice.

So what gem of truth, does talking to dogs while preparing breakfast, hold for a dreary Monday morning?

Welcome to the world of Pastor Shane....

Ask yourself this: "Out of Almighty God's vast limitless vocabulary, how many words does He use to communicate with you?"

Do you take the time to have conversations with God?

Are your conversations, one sided, where you do all the talking?
Please tell me that this question disturbs you on some level.
A one sided prayer is like going to the greatest counselor on earth and spending the whole time talking about yourself and never giving him an opportunity to get a word in.

Or do you find your conversations with God more like my instructions to my pugs. One word and to the point.

Do you desire to know Him better? Do you desire to know what God's opinion is? Do you desire to know what God hates? Do you desire to know what makes God smile?

How do you expect to find this out if you are the only one talking or limit the conversation to 30 second sound bites?

As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.
Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught.
But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!
There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.
” Luke 10:38-42