pastorshane

Friday, January 27, 2012

An Unexpected Blessing

I usually listen to KMBI radio (107.9) except when their talk shows are accepting calls from the public. At that point, I flip over to "Positive Life Radio" at 104.9. PLR doesn't take annoying calls from people commenting on... well, nothing, because their cell phones frequently cut in and out. And I am convinced that many of the callers just like being contrary and take pleasure in trying to offend as many people as possible.
Sorry, I digress....

PLR has a huge listening audience that covers most of the Pacific Northwest. And they started promoting a "pay it backward" program for drive throughs. The idea is, when you go through a drive through, pay for the persons order behind you. Which, I thought was a nice gesture until it developed into something amazing and continued for weeks and weeks and hundreds of people are participating.

And yes, they accept calls from the public - about their experiences with the "pay it backward" program. And no, none of these callers seem annoying or offensive. In fact, it has turned out to have a remarkably positive impact on hundreds of people.

Who knew????

Tonight, a very interesting lady called in to report that when she went to the Jack in the Box drive through window and found the person in front of her had already paid for her dinner. This made her so excited that she insisted on paying for the people's order behind her - which turned out to be $43. She didn't have $43 on her so she called in to promise that next time she goes through a drive through and the car behind her has a reasonably priced bill, that she would cough up the cash. This made me laugh because she failed to comply with the program yet she felt the need to call in and confess to the American public. Why she felt the need to call in and make herself look like a miser, makes my head spin but it turned out to be an unexpected blessing.

So how is this an unexpected blessing?

Bear with me because I am going to take you on a rabbit trail for a minute.

One of my pet peeves is political TV campaign advertisements. I dislike them almost as much as I detest political debates. I will stop there before I offend both of my blog readers.

After spending two days of my life invaded by talking heads expressing opinions of the State of the Union address and the political debates, my faith in humanity was needing a serious injection of honesty and basic goodness.

Enter "Positive Life Radio".

Average American people showing random acts of kindness with pure motives was the simple breath of fresh air I needed today.

You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.
Do Not Judge Others
“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged.
Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you.
Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.
Give, and you will receive.
Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down,
shaken together to make room for more, running over,
and poured into your lap.
The amount you give will determine the amount you get back
.” Luke 6:36-38

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35