pastorshane

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What to do?

My grandfather used to tell me that the problem with picking up a rattlesnake.... is that there is just no good way of turning him loose. Why he insisted on picking them up, I have no idea, but he just couldn't help himself.

I remember hearing my grandmother scream when she found a freshly caught rattlesnake, neatly coiled up in a glass milk jar, cooling off in the kitchen freezer.
Which was highly amusing but that is for another blog.

So, last night as I was shutting down the house, I grabbed a very perfect hunk of Tamarack for the stove. I had no doubt that it would hold a fire all night, so I slid it into the firebox and immediately it began to burn.

Except.... it was about 3" longer than my firebox.

So I have this fine piece of wood blazing away and I honestly have no idea how to resolve my issue without burning my house down.

It was so obvious that things were precarious, that the dogs went and hid in Michele's office. When pugs abandon ship, it is time to rethink your situation.

Now it is time for your Spiritual thought for the evening, "What do you do what you don't know what to do?"

So how do you get started working with God so you can begin making right decisions and showing good judgment?

Here are four keys to point you in the right direction:

#1. Make the decision to let God be God

You'll never make progress in this area as long as you refuse to give up control.
It certainly isn't easy, and it certainly doesn't happen overnight it helped when I realized there was somebody a bit more qualified than me in charge of my life.

"We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer" Proverbs 16:1-4

#2. Study the Word of God

The only way you're going to get to know God and his character is to study his Word. It won't take long before you're able to judge situations and circumstances with a new view. Decisions are easier because you already know in advance the direction you want your life to take.

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" 2 Timothy 2:15

#3. Surround yourself with people who are further along in the journey

God puts people in our lives to encourage us when we are down, to teach us when we need guidance, to confront us when we are out of line, to.... well, provide what we need, when we need it. Then you can take comfort in knowing that one day your mistakes may serve to help someone else.

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" 1 Corinthians 11:1

"God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ" 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

#4. Never give up

Every day, make progress, get to know God a little better. Cut yourself some slack. Little by little as you gain wisdom from God's Word, you'll begin to see the results reflected in your decisions.

"And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up" Hebrews 12:1-3

CLOSING THOUGHT:
I used to have a poster that said,

"Everyone needs good judgement
How do you get good judgement?
Experience
How do you get experience?
Bad judgement"