pastorshane

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Breakdown Maintenance

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it" Proverbs 4:23


I have a little red Toyota with high milage. Normally this would not be a problem because Toyota's aren't broke in until they have a zillion miles on the odometer. However, our car has a little different problem. Last month we were in Spokane and we could both smell something burning. I was right in front of Oil Can Henry's so I pulled in. They could all smell something burning but couldn't find the source. Since then, the burning smell is less but the poltergeist in the wiring is busy. Sometimes the dash lights go off, sometimes the tail lights go out, sometimes.... you get the idea. Anything to do with wiring is a goat rodeo. Daily we discuss our options. Trading cars is not an option. Spending hundreds or thousands to get the car rewired is not an option. So what is left? Drive the car until it breaks down then get it fixed. Since it is a Toyota, there is always a chance that it will go another 100,000 miles and not get any worse. Yea, and the next lottery number will be an exact match to my anniversary date.

My thought is this, how many of us go through life knowing that something is spiritually wrong "under the hood" but refuse to slow down long enough to address it?

To give this even more perspective, I have no business looking under the hood and tinkering around. I have no automotive expertise and when my wife sees a wrench in my hand, she immediately calls for an intervention.

Let me give you a couple thoughts on spiritual breakdown maintenance and then I will let you get back to your day.

#1. Sometimes you need a mechanic.
if you need an accountant, you call my wife
if you need a doctor, call the hospital
if you need a lawyer,.... (I'm sorry)
if your family relationships are on the rocks, call the Genesis Institute
if your personal walk with God is lacking, call your pastor

#2. Sometimes you need a "lube, oil, and filter"
1 Corinthians 11:28 commands Believers to "examine yourself"
examine your heart for:
(a) unconfessed sin
(b) unhealthy motives
(c) what is my world view
(d) direction for my passion
(e) attitude toward God's Word
(f) love for other Christians
(g) __________________

#3. Eventually, everyone has a breakdown
It is not "if" -- it is "when"
"when" you face a crisis -- where will you turn for help?
"when" you face a crisis -- who will you talk to?
"when" you face a crisis -- what will you read?
"when" you face a crisis -- what is your plan for restoration to health?

I had an old pastor that used to preach a sermon called, "When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout". It was entertaining and revealed most peoples plan for breakdown maintenance.

Stay with me for one final thought. For me to share this with you, it is important that you open your heart and refuse to pass judgment on anyone. I am using this as an illustration, not trying to make anyone feel guilty.

That said... 99% of the couples that comes to me for relationship counsel, are "unchurched". They don't attend church anywhere and have no interest in starting. I spent years trying to figure out why they call a pastor when they clearly don't believe church is a priority. My honest observation is this, pastors are cheap and convenient. Everyone knows that a licensed family counselor is (a) expensive, (b) demands a lot of time and (c) requires change.

My final point is this, begin now building relationships that will stand with you when the storms of life are beating on your soul. Of course I believe it would be healthy for each of you to find a pastor that can minister to you in good times as well as bad.

Think about this. If you allow God to build, strengthen, and mature you spiritually in times of peace, then when the season of suffering and doubt sets in, you will spiritually be "in shape" and have a support network of well chosen people that will stand with you.


Here is an old poem of unknown origin

He Does not lead me year by year

Nor even day by day,

But step by step my path unfolds;

My Lord directs my way.

Tomorrows plans I do not know,

I only know this minute;

But He will say, “This is the way,

By faith, walk ye in it!”