pastorshane

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do you Serve God Cheerfully?

"Serve the Lord with gladness" Psalm 100:2

When my basic training drill sergeant handed me my orders for Panama, he looked me in the eye, shook his head and said, "I'm sorry son. I wouldn't wish this on anyone." I had no idea where Panama was. In fact, all I knew about Panama was that Van Halen sang a song about it. After service 3 years, I noticed that very few reenlisted after serving in Panama. It was like the kiss of death for career servicemen. I am not sure I can put my finger on all the reasons it had that effect, but it definitely took its toll.

There was one bright spot during that time in my life. Our company had a platoon sergeant named Fernandez. He was old school and everyone wanted to work for him. He was less interested in politics than in taking care of his troops.

In 1986, he took 10 of us to Honduras on a "detail" for a few months. I remember it was hard duty with no days off. However, serving under SGT Fernandez was an honor and it never crossed our minds to complain about any order he gave. SGT Fernandez was a honest to goodness leader that cared more about his men than his own career. We would have charged Hell with squirt guns if he gave us the order.

"How many Christians do you know that feel that way about serving God?"

"How many Christians do you know that serve God with a good attitude?"

"How many Christians do you know that cheerfully give God their time and money?"

"How many Christians do you know that refuse to quit serving God when the going gets rough or confusing?"

What is interesting, is that service to God is voluntary. God wants you to choose to love Him. God wants you to choose to obey Him. God wants you to choose to serve Him.

So the question is, "Are you?"