pastorshane

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gritty

This afternoon I received word that a "customer" from my previous profession (Corrections Officer) passed away. He was incarcerated most of the time I worked in the jail (20 years). To his credit, he was not a violent criminal and for the most part, he was relatively easy work with.

My career as a Corrections Officer conditioned me to be calloused about such things but after walking close to God for a few years, I find myself "torn".

In all fairness, my old "customer" was my enemy by definition only. There was no animosity between us, but we played for different teams. And we both felt very strongly about our chosen professions, thus we were enemies by default.

My mind always flashes back over my many thousands of hours I had contact with my "customer". Not once did I ever introduce him to the Gospel. Not once did I ever speak
to him about where he was going to spend eternity. Not once did I ever suggest to him that God had a plan for his life. Not once did I let him know that God loved him.

These are things that weigh heavy on my heart. I suppose there are two options. (a) acknowledge that it is to late for me to do anything different and forget it, (b) confess my failure to share my faith and ask God to use this experience as a catalyst that launches me into faithful service.

Have you ever received word that an old enemy of yours was down on his luck -- and felt pleased?

"Don't rejoice when your enemies fall; don't be happy when they stumble" Proverbs 24:17

What exactly is a God pleasing attitude when your enemy has fallen on hard times?

Or a better question is, "Does God care what your attitude is toward your enemy?

I will toss out about 4 thoughts for you to consider:

#1. Jesus Is Our Example On How To Treat People
God brings people into your life that need to experience Christian love
There is very little more Christlike that you can do than -- FORGIVE
The person you view as your enemy -- Jesus loved that person enough to die for
The person you view as your enemy -- was created in the image of God

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
Luke 13:34

#2. There Is Always Enough Blame To Go Around
Your enemy may be going through a personal crisis
Your enemy may be simply be having a bad day

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
John 8:7

#3. Determine What Part You Played In The Problem

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye!
Matthew 7:5

#4. Immediately Pray For Your Enemy
"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"
Matthew 5:44

"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you"
Luke 6:27-28; Romans 12:14

This does not mean to pray that lightening strikes and gives them a new part in their hair.

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good"
Romans 12:17-21

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
Abraham Lincoln