pastorshane

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Helping Out the Neighbors

I grew up watching my dad plow snow out of all the neighbor's driveways.

He still loves it. He has an old 1948 Ford tractor with a blade on the back. When it snows, dad bundles up in all the clothes he owns and pushes snow around until everyone is taken care of.

To my knowledge, the only payment he has ever accepted is home made chocolate chip cookies. Dad views plowing snow as 1/2 ministry and 1/2 just being a good neighbor.

Now I have my own place out of town but don't have a tractor. We have a snowblower that requires a couple hours of hard work to adequately clear the driveway. However, one of my neighbors has a 4-wheeler with a blade and he zips around the driveway in about 8 minutes. Another of my neighbors has a mambo Dodge truck with a blade that is so wide it requires a CDL license to operate it. He makes one pass and there is no snow left on my property.

My point, words fail to express my appreciation for people that see a need and without a thought, step up and fill that need.

There is something unique about living in a community where people look out for each other. I believe this is a rare attribute being lived out in our world today.

So I was studying the Bible and researching what it says about doing "good deeds". God has a great deal to say about doing "good deeds".

First, it is not about impressing anyone.

Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4

I love the comment, "...they have all the reward they will ever get".

Second, it is not about being selfish.

"You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 20:35

Third, it is not about making myself look good.

"And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." Colossians 3:17

Fourth, it is not about wrong motives.

 "Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." James 4:17

Fifth, it is not about being a solo act.

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." Hebrews 10:24

Last, its not about quitting when it gets difficult.

"So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up." Galatians 6:9

If you still doubt that this is an important concept with the good Lord, then let me share my favorite Bible verse:
"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” John 13:35