pastorshane

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Out of Toner

Saturday night means one thing at my house -- print and fold the church bulletins and prepare the Bible study handouts for Sunday's services. Truth is, I have it down to a science and very little goes wrong, until tonight. I ran out of Toner.

Of course I removed the empty toner cartridge and shook the devil out of it. I read somewhere that if you shake it enough, there may be a few more copies to wring out of it before it totally fails. But nope, that didn't work. Shocker huh.

Phase two of my breakdown maintenance plan is to search the office for a new replacement toner cartridge. This would prove more effective had I actually purchased a spare and kept it on hand. But saw an opportunity to grow my faith. But nope, no $80 dollar toner cartridges stashed in the office. Shocker huh.

Phase three of my panic mode is to ask my dear wifey for help. She of course knows how everything works and can make sunshine our of sorrow. So she came to my rescue and began a "McGyver" type adventure. Thanks babe.

My role in the McGyver plan is to stay out of the way and don't touch anything. Early in our marriage I believed she appreciated my "witty banter" at moments like this, but the passing of years has shed additional light on my contributions.

1 Kings 17:7-15 is the amazing story of Elijah the prophet staying at the home of a very poor widow and her son during a terrible drought. When Elijah arrived at the house, the poor widow stated, "I don't have any bread -- only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug." (verse 12).

At Elijah's request, the poor widow prepared Elijah a meal first, even before she fed her son, and God rewarded the widow by "The jar of flour was not used up and jug of oil did not run dry" (verse 16) during the whole famine.

The point is this, "Where God guides, He provides".

God knew my wife had her old color printer stashed in her office. Michele prefers not to use it because the color toner cartridges are expensive and don't last very long. However, God had a plan. And I needed to be moved out of my comfort zone.
How often does God shake things up in your world just to get your attention and nudge you out of your comfort zone?

When God moves you out of your comfort zone, prepare to see God work. Hold off on the temper tantrum and the "woe as me" speech, because God is about to do something special and I would hate to see you miss it.