pastorshane

Friday, January 6, 2012

Do you Act or React?

Have you ever had a friend that was simply your friend because they chose to be?

Have you ever had a friend that wanted nothing from you, just your friendship?

Have you ever had a friend that you were not afraid to tell them your weaknesses?

Have you ever had a friend that would be honest with you, even if it was uncomfortable?

Have you ever had a friend that consistently demonstrates reliable sound judgment?

A few years ago, I had an employee that was very unhappy with me. Our conflict became very personal and things were deteriorating very quickly. I was at a loss on how to resolve the situation due to my obligations as a supervisor. Finally after spending many hours in prayer and seeking the counsel of a couple Godly counselors, I knew what would glorify God. I knew what time my employee got off work and would be leaving the parking lot. So I went to the parking lot and confronted my employee. The employee expected a rebuke and possibly a disciplinary letter. Instead, I extended my hand and said, "I am your friend. You may choose not to be my friend, but I choose you. There is nothing you can say right now that will change my mind. I value your character and dedication to your career. No matter how you decide to conduct yourself, know this, I am your friend." My employee shook my hand and opened up to share with me some concerns and problems that I was not aware of. This was a turning point in our working relationship and friendship.

So where did I come up with this plan of attack?

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" Proverbs 15:1

"A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel" Proverbs 15:18

You would be amazed at how many verses in the Bible gives counsel on how to handle difficult people and circumstances. My highly educated counsel to you is, "Get on the internet and Google: Bible verses on Anger".

One of my favorites is Ephesians 4:26, "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."

Whether or not you realize it, Ephesians 4:26 opens the door for me to start preaching and doing my "pastor thing". So in the interest of hoping you will come back tomorrow and continue following my blog, I will bid you adieu.

What you do with the Bible will determine what God will do with you.