pastorshane

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I Declare Winter OVER

Today I declare that winter was over.

It is official, don't try to fight it, resistance is futile.

So, part of my "process" of decommissioning winter is to get my motorcycle out of mothballs and put the snowblower away.

This proved easier said than done.

The large door going into the shed where I winter store my motorcycle had an imposing ice dam blocking it. Which required 30 minutes of picking before the door would swing open far enough to get the bike out. Then there was the 6" of snow to contend with.

I unplugged the battery from the tender and fired up my motorcycle in the shed and let it warm up while I worked on the ice dam.

For the record, I am further out of shape than expected. Yes I have a shape, "round" is a shape. And the whole ice picking thing wasn't near the fun I expected it to be. My unused back muscles are filing a letter of protest and will be sore tomorrow.

Note to self -- letting the motorcycle idle in an enclosed garage for an extended period of time without proper ventilation is.... unhealthy.

So the door is open, I am seated on my stallion and out the door I ride.... until I hit the ice dam. Apparently there was enough of a wrinkle left to spin out on and I was stuck.

Yea, I made it almost 2 feet before spinning out on the ice dam. CRUD!

After getting "unstuck" from the ice dam obstacle, my bike launched off into the 6" of compact snow. No, I didn't get very far, thank you for asking.

After grunting and groaning and pushing for another 30 minutes, the bike was free and clear. I went for a short ride just to erase any doubt as to whether or not it was worth all the hard work and grief. Without a doubt, I am the happiest boy in school.

Look out 60 mpg and no more seatbelt. Life is good.

By now you must be wondering what spiritual application could possibly be taken from this half baked adventure.

Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat. Mark 6:31

I am the first to admit that I am not very skilled at relaxing. Everyone is different, but for me, doing nothing is quite stressful. I am always working on some level or another.

Then my wife bought me a motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle requires a great deal of concentration. If you ride a motorcycle and get distracted, accidents happen very quickly. So I found that my bike forces me to discipline my thoughts and focus on keeping the bike "shiny side up".

This may sound trivial to you, but for me, every time I get on the bike, it is a mini vacation. And I spend all summer on it. I use it for general transportation getting to appointments and speaking obligations. But each and every ride is a "road trip" and gives my mind a vacation from the pressures and "workaholic" tendencies that come so naturally to me.

So when I read about Jesus and His disciples working themselves to a frazzle and "unplugging" for a time of R&R -- it warmed my heart.

So my spiritual take away for today is, "Are you getting close to burn out and need to unplug?"

One of the most familiar chapters in the Bible is Psalm 23. In verse 3 it says, "He restores my soul". THAT my friend, is a promise you need to take Him up on.

How do you do that? Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God".

James 4:8 says, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you".

How long has it been since you drew near to God and spent time with Him?