pastorshane

Friday, March 2, 2012

Comfort Zone

My personal comfort zone is being a "workaholic".

About ten years ago, I was talking to a family counselor and she repeatedly asked "What do you do for fun?" I honestly had no answer.

In 2004, my wife and I went to Hawaii for a couple weeks. To be honest, I have never been very good at vacations. They take me out of my comfort zone and I have no idea what I am supposed to do with myself. Anyway, we are walking down Waikiki Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and Michele says, "You have to stop." I had no idea what she was talking about. Finally she said, "You have not said a word in 45 minutes. We have been walking down the beach and your head is back at work." And she was correct.

So, in 2008 my wife bought me a mid sized Honda motorcycle. I am pretty sure Michele had doubts that I would master the motorcycle skills. The bike is as far out of the box as I could get. I went through a three day safety class in Spokane and now put 1000's of miles a year on it. It has proved to be a wonderful relaxation device for me and quite a gas saver.

The problem is, motorcycles are strictly a summer adventure.

Michele knows me well enough to recognize that I needed a nudge toward a winter adventure. So 5 years ago, my wife bought me a "starter" acoustic guitar.

I found the guitar was much more difficult to master than the motorcycle. OK, that is a serious understatement. I can take guitar lessons the rest of my natural life and never come anywhere near mastering it.

Last Sunday, most of our Worship Team musicians were on vacation. My mother agreed to play the piano if I would play my guitar. Talk about nerve wracking.

A couple months ago I spoke at Moody Bible Institute in Spokane. There was over 600 students + staff in the auditorium. I spoke and sang without a second thought. I was completely in my element and enjoyed every minute of it.

However, put me in our little church of 70 people with an acoustic guitar in my hand, and I feel indescribable insecurity.

What does all this have to do with being a Christian? I am glad you asked....

Thumb through your Bible and you will notice a common theme, "When God calls someone to a project, He always moves them out of their comfort zone."

If you believe that becoming a Christian means that God will protect you from every problem, stressor, difficulty, suffering, and itch, then you seriously need to research what the Bible says about it.

Our spiritual take-away is, "What are you doing to challenge the limits of your comfort zone?"

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." Philippians 2:13

"we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10