pastorshane

Monday, March 12, 2012

Winter has Returned

Last weekend the sun finally started peaking through the clouds and I was reacquainting myself with sunshine. We have had a long winter of cold and gloomy weather. So a little sunshine was a welcome change.

Due to my premature decision to put the snowblower away, the fresh snow presents a problem. Last weekend I drained the fuel out of the snowblower and stashed it in the shed. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

This is going to damage my reputation as a prophet.
"The false prophets or visionaries who try to lead you astray must be put to death....In this way you will purge the evil from among you." Deuteronomy 13:5
But that is a topic for another blog.

This blog is dedicated to 5 things I enjoy about unexpected snowstorms.

First and foremost, it gives my wife and I an evening together hunkered around a fire. This is my favorite ways to spend an evening. Michele is intelligent, witty, and keeps the dogs entertained. I have found that quality time with Michele is always time well spent. I selected Psalm 90:12 because it reminds me to never take time for granted.

"Teach us to number our days, 
that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

Psalm 90:12

Second, the fresh falling snow is beautiful. There is something eloquent in the falling snow, as it gently rests on the trees, shrubs, and covers the ground. It reminds me that God shakes the Etch-a-Sketch board and allows us to start over. Sometimes we need God to clear the board and give us a second chance.

"Then the LORD spoke to Jonah a second time"
Jonah 3:1

Third, as the heat of summer begins to dry the land, people begin to comment on the last winters snowpack.

"He has given proof of what he is like.
He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven.
He gives you crops in their seasons.
He provides you with plenty of food.
He fills your hearts with joy."

Acts 14:17

Fourth, snow slows down the tempo of our lives. If we want to stay on the road, we must drive slower. There are no quick trips into town for a bucket of chicken because the roads are treacherous and risk is involved. Tomorrow Michele and I both have appointments in town, so we are shuffling appointments so we can carpool. Taking both vehicles on slick, slush covered roads is a unnecessary risk. Slowing down is always healthy for us and offers positive side affects on our lives.

"Be still and know that I am God"
Psalm 46:10

Fifth, as I watch the blanket of snow gently cover the fresh mud, it reminds me of God covering all the blemishes and flaws in our lives. Jesus covers our sin.

"Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
 wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

Psalm 51:7

Come now, let’s settle this,”
  says the LORD.
   “Though your sins are like scarlet,
      I will make them as white as snow.
   Though they are red like crimson,
      I will make them as white as wool.

Isaiah 1:18