pastorshane

Friday, March 16, 2012

Marble Theory

Last summer, I was teaching a midweek Bible Study group and I was talking about how "busy" I was. I was preaching 7 time that week and had a packed schedule. I had allowed myself to become so busy that sleep was an option.

At first glance, it seemed like I was showing them that I was a good employee by working hard. Without realizing it, I was equating busy with success. I had inadvertently fallen into the devil's lie by trying to find validation in "busy".

A very wise and humble Elder in our church that cares for me very deeply, simply said, "Did you pray and ask God which of these appointments He wanted you to cover?"

My friend is so gracious, he didn't embarrass me, nor did he talk down to me, all he was really asking was, "Does God have any input in your daily schedule?"

This seriously rattled me.

I was supposed to be teaching this Bible Study and found myself sitting at the feet on an Elder, learning some very practical, God glorifying principles. These principles have helped revolutionize my life. From that night on, I have slowed down and began developing the habit of asking God for guidance and wisdom in the everyday details of my schedule.

Where the water gets really muddy and confusing, is when you realize that the majority of the requests and opportunities we are faced with every day, are good and worthwhile projects.

This means we have to learn to say, "No" to some good and worthwhile projects or our plate will become overfull that we risk burning out.

Tell me that you have never came home after a busy day and found that you have no energy or passion for your family? All you want to do is sit down and try to recuperate enough to face tomorrow.

Have you ever found that you are expending the very best you have to offer on strangers and business, only to find that your resources are depleted by the time you get home to those you love?

So consider this: Everyday you wake up and the good Lord gives you about 7 marbles.

That means you can do about 7 things very well. If you go beyond 7 things, you can function, but the quality of work begins to slip and you start drawing from your reserves.

What blows is when your first appointment of the day, takes all 7 of your marbles and you don't have anything left for everyone else in your day. By 9:00 am, you are out of marbles and running in the deficit.

This obviously is dangerous because you CAN function by living from your reserves.
I'm not saying you can't SURVIVE -- if SURVIVAL is your idea of quality living.

Your spiritual take-away from this is two-fold:
does "busy" validate you?
what is your idea of "quality" living?

"The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy.
My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

John 10:10

2 comments:

  1. How do you determine when your marbles are used up? I just figured one marble for each activity scheduled in my day, but I can see how people can exhaust one's marbles more quickly. Hope you don't mind, I pasted this on my Facebook Page.

    Sandie Major, (friend of Christy Woolum).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to work the bugs out of the Comment section

    ReplyDelete