pastorshane

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

OK I'll Go There

I debated for a few hours on whether or not to write this blog,
before accepting the fact that writing it is a public service of sorts.

Yesterday I officiated a funeral for a very kind family.
They were very broken up about the death of their loved one
and were openly expressing their grief.

At the end of the service, they were all reluctant to leave the graveside
and lingered around in a state of loss and heartache.

I do my best to share hugs, tears, and words of comfort in those moments of grieving.

Then something happened that is surprisingly common.

From the midst of the family group emerged a "Christian".
This "Christian" announced quite loudly, "Was he saved?"
"Do you think he went to heaven?"

As a group, I counted 8 family members turn and look at me for the answer.

The truth is, I have no idea. I have a personal integrity rule that requires me to be honest at funerals. If there is nothing positive to say about the deceased, I simply spend my time talking about our Heavenly Father and how much He desires that we become one of His children.

Second of all, ONLY the good Lord knows what is truly going on in people's hearts.

the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

Last, that question puts "Christians" in a very judgmental, negative light in front of people that are searching for reality and meaning in a dark experience.

I have searched my heart for a motive on why someone would be moved to express that question out loud in front of people mourning.

I am pretty sure I have not uncovered the heart of the matter but one thing does strike me as obvious, "If a Christian truly cared whether the departed was saved or not, then the Christian would have taken the time to lovingly approach that person and share the Gospel before he passed."

Then there is the more disturbing aspect of the question, "Do you think he was saved?"
When I search the face of the "Christian" asking the question and there is no emotion of any kind.... no compassion.... no tears of concern.... it makes me wonder where their heart really is.

The spiritual take-away from the blog is simple, "At funerals, spend time listening in love, sharing hugs, and mourning with those who mourn."

OK, I have another spiritual take-away that is burning a hole in my keyboard, "If you have a friend or loved one that is terminally, go spend some time with them. Due to their condition, you should keep your visit for 15-20 minutes. But go listen to their stories, let them experience the love of God flowing through you. And as you are spending time with them, may you be God's arms of love, mouth of peace, ears of kindness, and hands of service to a soul needing to experience heaven's reassuring touch".

"with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love" Ephesians 4:2

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God." 1 John 4:7

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad you're not the judge?

    I've been asked the same thing. I tell them I know what the Bible says I need to do in order to have the hope of salvation. I also tell them that God is the rule-maker and He can do whatever He wants with regard to our souls. I am confident there are no tears in heaven. That tells me there will be no disappointments.

    It does me no good to fret over the fate of my ancestors. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we can pray (or baptize) them into heaven after they've passed.

    Perhaps the Christian was hoping to drive the point home to the unchurched surviving relatives that their own salvation was something they needed to be concerned about now, rather than when it'll be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

    ReplyDelete