pastorshane

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Baptism by Bat Dung

I may be the first Pastor to experience "Baptism by Bat Dung".

Garden Valley Community Church was built over 100 years ago. If you can imagine the church on "Little House on the Prairie", you have a good mental picture of my church.
We are complete with two outhouses and an ancient cemetery.

About 40 years ago, the steeple became so rotten, the Elder Board threw a rope around it and pulled it off. And since none of them liked heights, they never got around to replacing it.

A few years ago, God started blessing GVCC and we began to grow. As we grew, it became apparent that we needed to put some work into restoring our building. So we hired a contractor to tear the roof off and do a major restoration project.

The contractor mentioned that there were bats in the attic -- a lot of bats.

So our Senior Elder and I decided to take a look and see what the situation was. As Marty climbed the ladder, I held the base to insure it didn't kick out. All was well until he removed the hatch door to the attic.

I have no way to judging how much bat dung fell out of the attic but it was deep. There were thousands of bats in the attic and they had been there for the better part of 100 years.

So as I faithfully held the ladder, buckets and buckets of bat dung fell on my head, down my shirt and completely covered me. Not one of my finer moments. The situation was not helped any by Marty laughing so hard he was in danger of falling off the ladder.

As this story got around the neighborhood, I was surprised by the number of elderly neighbors that asked me to repeat it, so they could personally take pleasure in my discomfort. The tale has been added into the folklore of GVCC.

Fast forward a few years to present day.

My friend Marty (the one laughing at me on top of the ladder) is in a Spokane Hospital having a very serious back surgery. He is a good natured character from Oklahoma that has never missed an opportunity to "spin a yarn".

While I was visiting him one afternoon in the hospital, his nurse came in during her rounds to make sure he was still alive. Marty introduced me as his pastor and, by my judgment, she was less than impressed.

As she turned to leave, Marty said, "I dumped bat dung on him. In fact, the bat dung was in his hair, down his shirt, it had him covered". This caught her attention.

She looked at me and said, "There must be a good story in there somewhere".

At this point, Marty and I joined forces in spinning our tall tale. By the time we were done, she was laughing and insured us that she would never forget us.

As she left the room, I mentioned to her that not all pastor's are stuffy and boring. I suggested that she should spend some time listening to a pastor. She gave me an odd look and continued on her rounds.

Your spiritual take-away from this story is simple, God gives you experiences to share with other people. If you read the book of Acts, it is full of people sharing what God had done in their lives.

Remember this: People do not want to know what the Bible says.
People want to know how your relationship with God has impacted your life.
People want to know how the Bible changed you in a time of failure.
People want to know how the Bible strengthened you in a time of trouble.
People want to know how the Bible comforted you in a time of pain.
People want to know how the Bible gave you peace in a time of doubt.
People want to know if you are genuine and authentic in your faith - do you live it?

So HOW did my "bat dung" story impact the nurse?
It opened her mind to the idea that a pastor might be approachable and real with her.
It presented her with the idea that perhaps a pastor might be an honest resource for her to talk to.
Now it is up to God to do His perfect work in her heart and mind --- as He draws her to Himself.

 3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.
When they are troubled, we will be able to give them
the same comfort God has given us.
5 For the more we suffer for Christ,
the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.
6 Even when we are weighed down with troubles,
it is for your comfort and salvation!
For when we ourselves are comforted,
we will certainly comfort you.
Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer.
7 We are confident that as you share in our sufferings,
you will also share in the comfort God gives us."
2 Corinthians 1:3-7