pastorshane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Foul Weather Saints

For many years, I have taught a midweek Bible Study to a very hardy group of Saints. Nothing seems to deter them. Year around, every season, every holiday, nothing deters them. One of our Elders had a serious back surgery on Friday. And wouldn't you know it, Wednesday night, he was in his chair, Bible open, ready for action. This level of dedication definitely raises the bar and gets me all fired up.

Tonight was especially interesting. For one thing, it is the middle of March and we are being persecuted by a system of freak snowstorms. (but I will save that rant for a different blog)

The snow is piling up and the roads are covered in a treacherous slush. Yet, 25 people showed up for our mid week Bible study.

I enjoy the midweek service because it is unstructured, open forum, no time restrictions, and everyone brings their own Bibles.

For years, I suspected that our church would always remain small because it is so far out in the dingle weeds that no one could find it without a GPS.

Last summer I officiated a wedding at our church. Just about everyone that attended the wedding was from out of the area and all of them had a difficult time locating our church. An elderly man asked me why I didn't post advertising signs along the highway so people could find the church more easily. I explained to him that we are already overcrowded and if we advertise, it would just bring in more people and increase our overcrowding problem. He told me he didn't like my attitude.

At the same wedding, an elderly female advised me that she needed to use the "powder room". I invited her to use the "washroom" in my private office. I told her to go outside and stay to the right and that my office is on the east side of the building. A short time later she came back inside and found me. Her anger was apparent and in great detail, she explained to me that I was not a funny man. You see, I do not have an office and on the east side of the church are two very clean outhouses. She needs to work on her sense of "ha-ha".

Anyway my point is this, if people are committed enough to drive long distances on treacherous snow covered roads to hear the Word of God taught, then I am honored to be their pastor.

Your spiritual take-away from this lesson is this:
"How important is studying God's Word to you?"
Is studying God's Word important enough for you to drive 30 miles?
Is studying God's Word important enough for you to miss your favorite TV show?
"How exactly important is studying God's Word to you?"

"Be strong and very courageous.
Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you.
Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left.
Then you will be successful in everything you do.
Study this Book of Instruction continually.
Meditate on it day and night so you will
be sure to obey everything written in it.
Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
This is my command—be strong and courageous!
Do not be afraid or discouraged.
For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Joshua 1:7-9