pastorshane

Friday, December 23, 2011

God's Broken Toys

A few years ago, it became apparent to my wife and I that
we needed a pickup. My dad's pickup was usually available
and he never once complained when we commandeered his
little Toyota pickup and used it to haul most every weekend.
So the day came when Michele and I couldn't postpone the
inevitable. Truth is, Carter Toyota is something of a long
running vice for Michele and I. We refuse to count the
number of vehicles Marv and Scott has blessed our family with.
I immediately spotted a little red Ford Ranger. It would haul
what needed hauling without any whistles or bells. In fact,
it was so plain that I felt no emotional attachment to it whatsoever.
Then my dear wifey pointed to a 2003 Toyota Tundra.
(cue the trumpets and angels singing the Hallelujah chorus)
It was love at first sight.
However I quickly noticed a problem with my new shiny pickup.
It was beautiful and there were no scratches or dings.
Michele started calling it my "chick truck" because there was no
possibility of it getting beat around in the woods.
Over time, I finally got it paid off and started accumulating scratches
and dings. These imperfections were very liberating and opened up
a whole world of opportunities for service.

The Good Lord applies this same principle applies to His children.
God allows his children to endure scratches and dings.

"So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power
of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my
weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles
that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong"
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted;
He rescues those whose spirits are crushed"
Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment