pastorshane

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Unavoidable Question: "What do you believe about God?"

Though God slay me, yet will I hope in him…”  Job 13:15a

One of my favorite movie scenes is in Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail.  The evil professor shoots Indiana Jones’ father (Sean Connery) and asks, “Dr. Jones, you must ask yourself, what do you believe?”  If Indiana Jones believes in the Holy Grail and its healing powers, perhaps his father may live.  It made for a very exciting movie. 

Of course my 2nd most favorite scene is a few minutes later when the old Templar Knight mutters the timeless understatement, “He chose poorly”. I find myself quoting the old nameless Templar Knight as I watch people making decisions that will clearly end in a train wreck.    

Each of us must make a decision on what we believe about God. 

No one gets to abstain from this decision.   

So look in a mirror and yourself these questions, “What do I spend the majority of the time thinking about?”  and “What do I spend most of my money on?” and “When I am stressed, where do I go for strength and comfort?”

The answers to these questions will help reveal who the “god” of your life is. 

Job’s faith had grown to the place where he trusted God with his life.  Job would rather have his life rest in God’s hands than his own.  Job knew that God’s unlimited wisdom and resources would always do what was best in every situation, even if that meant his death. 

Welcome to the deep end of the pool.   

No comments:

Post a Comment