pastorshane

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Amazing Rewards from a Pet Rescue

A year ago, my pug (daffy) ran away.
We spent hundreds of hours searching for her, but to no avail.
As our pain turned from grieving to cherished memories,
Michele heard about "Seattle Pug Rescue". A veterinarian in Seattle
that handles the adoption of unwanted pugs,
We drove to Seattle and checked them out. It was heartbreaking.
There was about 14 happy, snorting, wiggling pugs of all colors and
ages. Michele's heart insisted we bring all 14 home and start a
"Pug Ranch". Which I confess, appealed to my impulse shopping weakness.
With tears in her eyes, Michele told me that I would have to make the
selection because she just couldn't do it.
There was an old mix breed pug sitting in the corner. He looked like the
kid at the orphanage that no one ever looked twice at.
His head hung low and he never made eye contact with me.
With tears in my eyes, I simply pointed at "Bubba" and said, "I will give
him a good home for his remaining years". We signed a couple papers and
put Bubba in the back seat of our car.
The Vet said that Bubba and his sister were adopted together by the same
owner about 10 years ago. Recently his sister died of cancer and he was
quietly abandoned.
He curled up with his face against the door and never moved. He just looked
lonley and depressed. I suspected he missed his sister.
We got home from Seattle and gave Bubba 4 acres to roam around on. He quickly
found all the love he ever needed from my wife, Michele. They are insepertable.
The first time I had to take Bubba to the vet for a check-up, he immediately thought
we were done with him and was going to take him away. He slowly backed up toward the
house with his head drooping. When he got to the house he looked defeated.
However, a year later, he is curled up in front of the fireplace with our old cat.
Life is good in Bubba's world.
He filled a hole in our hearts and restored joy in our home.
A heartfelt "Thank you" to the Seattle Pug Rescue for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment