pastorshane

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thoughts on "good deeds"

Its official, we are in the midst of the holiday season.  
You know its official because the Salvation Army bell ringers have converged on the WalMart.  
Some people look for snow, others for Santa, I look for the Salvation Army bell ringers.  
So in keeping with the holiday theme and our commitment to step out of our comfort zone and help someone in need, we are faced with a new question, "WHO?"  How do you know who to help? 
If you are like me, then your resources are limited. 
If helping a junkie get his much needed fix, is outside your comfort zone, then how do you know who to help and who to pass by?  
I have struggled with this for years and I believe God nudged me in a healthy direction.  So consider this.
We are here on this spinning rock for the purpose of fulfilling God's purpose.  I know that is vague but I didn't want to get sidetracked so I stayed with a concept that is hard to dispute.  
From God's perspective, you and I are His workers, tasked with doing the good works He selects for us to do.  "For we are God's masterpiece, He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."  Ephesians 2:10 
As my wise wifey likes to say, "A gift is just that ~ a gift ~ no strings attached."  
I leave you with this thought, "Your good deed is a gesture of love that God will use as He sees fit".  
I had a friend that used to walk through Chicago's O'Hare Airport and put quarters in the pay phones coin return slots.  Then he would stand back and watch people's faces as they, without thought, finished their call and stuck their finger in the coin return slot and, low and behold, found a quarter.  The positive affect was visible and immediately apparent in the face of the weary traveler.  
The KEY to grasping God's perspective on our "good deeds" is to remember 1 Corinthians 3:6, "I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow".  
God will take your "good deed" and works in ways far beyond anything you would ever image to touch someones life.  
"Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think"  Ephesians 3:20


No comments:

Post a Comment