pastorshane

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Can you imagine....

"what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?" Psalm 8:4

I was watching our chickens run around their pen, hassling each other and squawking. Briefly I wondered if the chickens are aware me, beyond my amazing ability to dispense lunch. Do they have any understanding of who feeds them? From the way they peck me when I try to put feed in their dish, it is obvious that they are not burdened with a grateful spirit. Their expectations and motivations are totally selfish.

I am curious what they think of me, their owner, who gathers their eggs one morning and selects which of them will roost in the crock pot the next?

I provide them a heat lamp in the winter and a heated water dish to insure it doesn't freeze, yet, they feel no gratitude toward me, their provider. At Christmas, they fail to express their appreciation for my efforts to protect and provide for them.

Every little pellet of food that falls to the ground, results in a thrashing pile of chickens, terrified that they will have to share or miss out on something that is rightfully theirs.

On one hand this seems silly, but in a larger sense, I wonder what God sees when He watches us move about our life. Does He shake His majestic head in disgust as we take provisions from His hand without gratitude? Does He flinch as we peck each other in our squabble for more? Does His heart ache as we selfishly hoard without thought for the well being of our neighbors?

My dear wifey keeps suggesting that if we put the crock pot in the hen house, that it might have a behavior corrective effect on the feathered heathens. I think the whole scared straight program might prove ineffective with our unruly residents.

So my final observation on this topic is this, "Is there any greater honor than knowing that God Almighty, the creator of the universe, knows and cares for me?"

And with this knowledge comes great responsibility. We must live with an awareness of what our loving Heavenly Father is doing in our lives. And of course It is vital that we stop pecking each other in a effort to hoard more than we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment