pastorshane

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Regrets

2 Questions

I was counseling a family this week and one reoccurring theme was glaringly obvious and that theme was, "regrets". What's odd is that it seemed like the bad decisions started early in life and the pattern developed into a lifestyle.

So I think each of us can look back at our decisions in life and ask 2 questions:
#1. Am I glad I did?
#2. Do I wish I had?

And I suppose there is a third question that I should have included:
#3. Are you sure I really did that?
#4. WHY? What made me think that was a good idea?

Sorry, I am sure none of you have ever had to deal with "regrets".

The Apostle Paul had plenty to regret but he refocused his life on God's purpose for his life.
"No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.
I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us
"
Philippians 3:13-14

Can you imagine the regrets that Adam & Eve experienced after they were booted out of he Garden of Eden. I have wondered if they were able to grasp the fact that their decision to rebel against God was responsible for every human being born with a sin nature.

Or the Apostle Peter's shame as he reflected back on his betrayal of Jesus at the crucial moment (John 18).

The list of Saints that experienced regrets in the Bible is extensive -- which (I believe) the good Lord recorded to give us examples to follow and hope for tomorrow.

The bottom line is, everyone lives with either:
#1. Regrets of the past
or
#2. Fear of the future

Your spiritual take-away from this is, "Look Ahead" to what God has planned for your life.

There is a reason that your windshield is huge and your rearview mirror is very small.
You are supposed to spend more time looking forward than backward.
Pretty clever huh?
Let me give you a 3 principles to consider:

#1. Confess your sin to the good Lord -- immediately

"But if we confess our sins to him,
he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness."

1 John 1:9

"He has removed our sins as far from us
 as the east is from the west"

Psalm 103:12

#2. Daily spending time reading God's Word

"Study this Book of Instruction continually.
Meditate on it day and night
so you will be sure to obey everything written in it.
Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do."

Joshua 1:8

#3. Be in constant communication with God

"Always be joyful. Never stop praying.
Be thankful in all circumstances,
for this is God’s will for you
who belong to Christ Jesus."

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I have been crucified with Christ;
and it is no longer I who live,
but Christ lives in me;
and the life which I now live
in the flesh I live by faith
in the Son of God, who loved me,
and delivered Himself up for me”

Galatians 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment