pastorshane

Friday, April 6, 2012

A Defining Moment

Defining Moment
As soon as I graduated from high school, I left for Chicago to attend Bible College.  A friend of mine coordinated for me to stop in Denver and pick up a student that needed a ride. I spent the weekend in Denver and attended church with my rider and his family.  If my memory serves me well, the church sanctuary seated about 1000 people.  At the end of the service, my rider took me to the front of the church and introduced me to the pastor.  He was an amazingly gracious older gentleman that was kind enough to take time out of his busy day to spend a few minutes with an 18 year old “pastor-want-to-be”. 

I distinctly remember this amazing pastor looking silently into my eyes and saying, “Son, God has plans to bless your ministry in ways you would never believe.” 

He then placed his hands on my head and prayed a prayer of blessing. 

That my friends, was a defining moment in my life. 

To my dying day, no matter where the good Lord guides my steps, I will always remember that man of God. 

What is interesting is, I have always had a problem understanding all the reasons that I was so impacted by his actions. 

Was it a very vulnerable time in my life where I was filled with doubts about the direction of my life?  (probably)

Was it because a very successful pastor expressed a belief that I could follow in his footsteps and fulfill my lifelong dream?  (without a doubt)

Was it because an amazing man of God moved my dream of being a pastor, over into the reality category?  (yes)

I could go on for pages, speculating on why my life was so touched by this pastor. However, what is perhaps most powerful is how this experience made me aware of my ability to encourage and impact individuals into service for the good Lord. 

My ministry will touch, perhaps a few thousand lives.  However, if the good Lord guides young people into my life, and if I am faithful, much like the pastor that spent a few minutes with me when I was 18 years old, there is no telling how many 100,000’s of people that will be impacted for God’s Kingdom. 

And that, my friends, I find humbling and terribly exciting. 
There is another aspect of my experience that makes my head spin. 

That pastor only spent a total of 5-7 minutes with me.

Today, I am 48 years old.  That means, 30 years later, I am still moved to tears by the memory of what that faithful man of God did. 

Your spiritual take-away from this blog is:                                  

 Little is much ~ when God is in it      

When God leads a person into your life that needs to be encouraged, and you are faithful to God’s plan, God will take the seed you plant and bring forth a thousand fold beyond anything you expect. 

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.
When they are troubled,
we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.”    
2 Corinthians 1:4

1 comment:

  1. Saw this a Leighanns fb post and thought I'd give it a glance:) So glad I did. I needed to be reminded that the Lord does bring people across our path and it's really not my job to figure out the why. I just need to be faithfull and obedient and let the Good Lord take care of the rest. Thanks Shane and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete