pastorshane

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Don't Panic

A few years ago, I was asked to be 1 of 2 speakers at a public school Baccalaureate address for the graduating seniors.  I was to be the 1st speaker, they called me the “inspirational speaker” and a prominent politician was the “keynote speaker”. 
 In my world, that is quite an honor and I took it very seriously.  Not many career Corrections Officers are asked to be “inspirational speakers”.  To this day I am sure the hand of God forced someone to call my phone number because – exactly what “inspirational” information does a Sheriff’s jailer have to offer? 

 I spoke for about 20 minutes and began wrapping up my “motivational thoughts” when the moderator stepped up to the pulpit and whispered in my ear that the “keynote speaker” had the wrong time wrote down and was in Deer Park.  The master plan was for me to “wing it” for 30+ minutes until the “keynote speaker” arrived. 

 To this day I remember the panic driven thought zipping through my mind, “A priest, a rabbi, and a parrot go into a bar….” 

 This unexpected development far exceeded my preparation but the good Lord always has a plan – we just have to not panic and be sensitive to His nudging. 

 I remember turning back to the microphone and saying the first thing that came to my mind:
“I find it curious that a high school graduating class would consider a Sheriff’s jailer to be their motivational speaker.  Someday I hope to learn the thought process behind that decision.  I suspect you either need to rethink your career goals or your plans could possibly involve your name winding up on a booking photo in my jail.”

 I spent the next 30 minutes talking about decisions.  And how at my graduation, not one graduating senior stood up and announced plans to be booked into the county jail 12 times for “driving while intoxicated”.  Not one graduating senior stood up and announced that he would spend 20 years working in the county jail as a corrections officer. 

The good Lord then filled my mouth with words about the dangers of instant gratification "play now and pay later" decision making.  And the rich rewarding impact that a “pay now and play later” decision making process will offer. 

My point is this, the good Lord promised to give us words to say, and He did. “I will give you the right words and such wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to reply or refute you!” Luke 21:15.

 Your spiritual take-away from this blog is this:

I believe God is more interested in your availability as in your ability.” 
Sometimes we rely too heavily on our natural abilities and fail to simply make ourselves available as the good Lord’s servant. 

They stumble because they do not obey God’s word,
and so they meet the fate that was planned for them.
But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people.
You are royal priests, a holy nation,
God’s very own possession.
As a result, you can show others the goodness of God,
for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Peter 2:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment