pastorshane

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Really?

FaceBook. What an odd world FaceBook is. It can be used as a force for good or a force for evil. More often than not, it is a force that vacuums up massive amounts of time with very little to show for it. However, I am observing a few trends in FaceBook that I find highly beneficial. For one thing, it is a very effective way to rally the Saints together in prayer. If you have a prayer request that is heavy on your heart -- all you have to do is post it and it will go viral. In an hour, you WILL have hundreds of Saints offering prayer cover for whatever burden you are carrying. How cool is that? A more humbling side of FaceBook is my old army buddies post pictures of our service in Central America. Yea, not a time that I care to relive. However, I find relief in knowing that I have been honest about my military experience and didn't try to "remake" myself into a super-Christian. My time in Central America was a maturing experience that God has been able to use as a refining process for me. I was looking through some of the pictures they posted and honestly, most of them involved parties that were in no way, pleasing to God. I am able to sit back and reflect and thank God for transforming my life into a tool for His service and pleasure. I find it encouraging to observe the transformation process and then look forward with great anticipation to what God is going to do NEXT in my life. However, with that in mind, I was reading Paul's letter to the Corinthian Church and realized that they were a train wreck. There was little right in their church and God was confronting their sin and confusion. Then I ran across 1 Corinthians 11:1, "and you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ." Tell me that this verse doesn't make you sit back and reflect on your life. Does your life reflect the life of Jesus Christ? To the point you are comfortable telling others to follow your example? Not often do I look to Heaven and think, "Really? Me? That's the best plan you could come up with?" Of course, I humbly acknowledge that God in his unlimited wisdom, never, ever makes a mistake or a slip in judgment..... but me, in my extremely limited wisdom, frequently fails to grasp what God had in mind when He works His plan. Does my attitude reflect the attitude of Jesus Christ? Philippians 2:5 "You must have the same attitude that Jesus Christ had." Do I want the people who know me best, to watch my life, and imitate my relationship with God and other people? The spiritual take-away from this blog is: "If people imitate my life -- will their lives please God?" Or.... do I need to make some changes????? Offer this prayer: "Holy Spirit, my heart is open to your guidance right now. Please let me know where I need to make changes in my life. Please move my heart and mind to places that makes God smile. I am holding nothing back, please look in every private dark corner of my heart and shine Your light in areas that need transforming. I commit my life, my thoughts, my actions, my attitudes, my desires, my goals -- to You right now. In Jesus name, Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment