pastorshane

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's a God Thing

Tonight I received an e-mail through my old website. The old website has a confidential prayer request link where people can send me things to pray for.

This e-mail was from a guy (Greg) that grew up in my home town and graduated from high school a couple years behind me. At some point in his teenage years, Greg and his dad came to my house to do some construction type work and my dad talked to them about God and church.

Fast forward 30 years and a LOT of hard living.

Greg likes to read our small town local newspaper online. Well, today he was reading the obituaries and noticed my name. A name he remembered from 30 years ago -- NO, not as an "obituary customer" but as a pastor officiating a funeral.

So he found my old website and sent me an e-mail with his remarkable story.

After my dad talked about God to Greg and his dad, they came to church a few times. And he has memories of Pastor Roberts and a few people in the church.

Now the interesting part, after living a tough life for many years, Greg found himself back in church. And finally, God got ahold of his life, introduced him to a woman that he eventually married and ((( drum roll ))) yup, you guessed it, he is a pastor himself.

Can you believe that? THAT my friends, is TOTALLY a "God Thing".

30 years ago, my dad made a few passing remarks to a couple guys doing some work at our house about God and church.

And today, one of those guys is a pastor with clear distinct memories of that conversation -- a conversation that eventually helped guide a stray soul back into the fold. Is that a supernatural miracle? There is no other explanation.

God LOVES to take our weak & insignificant efforts and turn them into supernatural miracles where ONLY He can get the credit.

You NEVER know what God has in store for some good deed you do for someone that is down and out.

You NEVER know what God has in store for some passing remark you make to someone who needs a word of encouragement.

You NEVER know what God has in store for some kind gesture you offer to someone who is hurting.

The good Lord takes special pleasure in taking our LITTLE and making MUCH out of it.

Your spiritual take-away from this is: "Little is much, when God is in it".

So to keep me from becoming proud,
I was given a thorn in my flesh,
a messenger from Satan to torment me
and keep me from becoming proud.
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.  
Each time He said,
“My grace is all you need.
My power works best in weakness.”
So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ can work through me.
That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses,
and in the insults, hardships, persecutions,
and troubles that I suffer for Christ.
For when I am weak, then I am strong."

2 Corinthians 10:7-10

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Shane.
    As you speak of Greg in your post.. I think the same as a man you have in your church we will call Dwayne... Thank you for being on the receiving end of his walk to Christ. He is an amazing man, and I have always known this, and it is wonderful to watch him now, and talk to him about things of God
    I thank God he is in this church and a man growing in "Him".
    Isaiah 40:30-31
    your sister in Christ. Terri.

    ReplyDelete