pastorshane

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Google

I find it a little disturbing how many people have admitted to me that their medical physicians have ordered them to STOP diagnosing their ailments on Google. In my mind I can hear the conversation, "You see Doctor, I have this rash. So I Googled it and found that it is only transferred by physical contact with a rare African bush hog. Which I saw on the Discovery Channel last week and I thought it looked familiar....."

Today my wife handed me a new bottle of a nutritional supplement of some kind. Of course the first thing I did was Google it to see what data I could find on it. Can you believe the manufacturer admitted that one of the possible side affects is DEATH? And I promise that half of the reviews swore that it virtually cured their type 2 diabetes and the other half swore that it was nothing more than a sugar pill.

Then to make it even more amusing, our adult Sunday School teacher is a retired school teacher and scientist. He has an amazing mind that effortlessly processes huge amounts of data. For many years he has turned his amazing mind toward studying God's Word. And I have a tremendous respect for his insight and knowledge. On occasion, while he is teaching, he will ask my opinion on some topic (to be polite no doubt -- and I appreciate the kind gesture). So just to give him heartburn, I respond, "According to the source of all Biblical data, which is Wikipedia, of course....". He is well aware that I am pushing his buttons but it still slips through his defenses and twists his tail.

Our spiritual take-away from this is: "Carefully choose where you go for counsel".

When you are discouraged, where do you go for encouragement?

When you are unhappy, where you do go for cheer?

When you are disappointed, where do you go for perspective?

When you are angry, where do you go for relief?

When you are grieving, where do you go for comfort?

The answer to these questions reveal who you consider to be a reliable source for counsel and advice.

OK, I have to ask: "Does the answer to these questions disturb you?"
OR are you comfortable with your choice of counselors?

"If any of you lacks wisdom,
let him ask God,
who gives generously
to all without reproach,
and it will be given him"

James 1:5

My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment