pastorshane

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Pitches In The Dirt



Don’t Swing At Pitches In The Dirt

During high school I spent one excruciatingly difficult year playing baseball.  I can only imagine what my coach thought about my less than stellar performance as “3rd base coach”. 

I was the only baseball player that had a perfect uniform without a single scuff.  In hindsight it is apparent that a scuff-less uniform is a sign of a non-productive baseball player.  Anyway, I digress.  One of the lessons the batting coach frequently yelled my direction was, “Don’t swing at pitches in the dirt ~ you don’t have to swing at every pitch”. 

The older I get ~ the wiser that counsel becomes.
2 life lessons are glaringly apparent. 

#1.  There are some battles that come your way that are simply not                yours to fight. 

Some pitches that come your way are simply designed to distract you from what God wants you to be focusing on. 

Some pitches that come your way are intended to draw a reaction out of you that is offensive to God. 

“Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life,
for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.” 2 Timothy 2:4 NLT

#2.  If I feel the need to be defensive ~ it is a battle that belongs to the Lord. 

This is a test that reveals the depth of our faith. Luke 22:47-51 NLT

47 But even as Jesus said this, a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss.
48 But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When the other disciples saw what was about to happen, they exclaimed,
“Lord, should we fight? We brought the swords!”
50 And one of them struck at the high priest’s slave, slashing off his right ear.
51 But Jesus said, “No more of this.”
And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

So the question is this:
Are you driven by personal ambition to launch into a battle before you ~
or have you spent time in prayer asking God for direction on what His Will is for you in addressing the conflict?” 

“everyone assembled here will know that the Lord rescues his people,
but not with sword and spear.
This is the Lord’s battle, and he will give you to us!”
1 Samuel 14:47 NLT 

PRAYER
"Heavenly Father, please slow me down. 
Please give me wisdom to identify my reckless attempts to defend my pride.
Allow me to conduct myself in a manner that pleases You.  
May the way I conduct myself in conflicts serve to lift you up and magnify your name. 
May your will be done, Amen."  

No comments:

Post a Comment