pastorshane

Monday, August 20, 2012

Weapons of Mass Destruction

There are more angry bees this year than any time in my life.

I make weekly patrols around our buildings with cans of “Weapons of Mass Destruction”.  You know, those green cans that shoot bee killer foam about 21 feet and whack the snot out of bees nests? 

I am shocked how large a nest those little devils can build in a few short days. They work hard and long to find difficult to reach spots to build nests.  And occasionally they simply amaze me at how clever they are at hiding their nests.   

And this next part, if I hadn’t observed it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it.  There is some kind of psycho bee around here that takes up a defensive fighting posture when I approach them with my “Weapons of Mass Destruction”.  They look like ninja fighting bees. 

Michele and I have been stung more this summer than we have in our entire lives combined. 

Michele was trimming our hedge the other day and managed to whack a yellow jackets nest with the hedge-trimmer and got stung about 6+ times. The nest was so well conceiled that even after I knew where it was, I had a hard time getting to where I could see it and a harder time getting to where I could spray it.   

This BLOG has a spiritual application with two practical thoughts. 
(a)             if you are not vigilant at all times, sinful threats will subtly find their way into your home ~ they are sneaky and very subtle
(b)            sinful threats that find their way into your home will ALWAYS hurt your family 

There is no such thing as a harmless small sin.  All sin is offensive to the good Lord and a threat to the health of you and your family. 

So, exactly what are you looking for when it comes to subtle spiritual threats to your family? 

I usually define sin two ways:
(a)             missing the target
(b)            trespassing

missing the target” is like someone shooting a bow & arrow and having the arrow fail to hit the center bulls-eye. Think of the 10 ring as God’s will ~ God’s plan for your life.  So when you make decisions or have actions or attitudes that fail to hit the 10 ring, you have sinned. 

trespassing” is when you commit an offense against the law or another person.  You are trespassing on ground where you have no right to go.  And if the “law” is “God’s Law”, then you understand what King David was saying in Psalm 51:4, “Against You (talking to God), and You alone, have I sinned, I have done what is evil in Your sight.  You will be proved right in what you say, and Your judgment against me is just".
 So I will close with one of my favorite Bible Verses. This verse ties this BLOG together.  Because it forces each one of us to make a choice: 

“if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
Joshua 24:15

No comments:

Post a Comment