pastorshane

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Be Considerate

Years ago, I spent summers flagging traffic for county road construction projects.  The upside is, I got to work with some very remarkable people that I am still friends with today.  The downside was, I ended up with a chainsaw stuck in the side of my left leg, resulting in over 300+ stitches.


This summer, there have been road construction projects going on between my house and the only road back to civilization.  I spend an average of 30 minutes, every day, stuck behind a traffic flagger. 
Every day as I am sitting there waiting on the pilot car, I am reminded of my time working as a traffic flagger.  Not only do traffic flaggers have to stand in the direct sunshine with no shade, but they have no access to bathrooms, and to top it off, no one is happy to see you ~ ever.    

Years ago, I spent a few college semesters working at a truck stop in Chicago.  Since we were short staffed, I worked as a host, waiter, toilet cleaner, coffee cup filler upper and listener to endless trucker stories. And a lot of my time was spent with a bucket of pure bleach scrubbing the brown nicotine stains off the white ceiling.     
I have good memories of my time at the truck stop. And truth is, every time I eat in a restaurant, I reflect back to my experiences serving customers.  This gives me unlimited patience with my server and encourages me to not be stingy with my tips. 

The “low hanging fruit” from these 2 stories is to encourage you to cut people in the service industry some slack.  It doesn't cost anything to be considerate.   
They make very little money per hour, probably have no benefit package, and work terrible hours. And they spend their time at the “beck & call” to Americans that are rude and thoughtless.    

To abuse a server is inexcusable. Remember, the good Lord promises that you will “reap what you sow” in Galatians 6:9.    
Just because we are having a bad day and they are vulnerable due to their job position, is no excuse to take our personal grief out on them.

I feel a “calling” to confront bullies.  When I hear someone giving a waitress verbal abuse, it raises my ire and I look for an opportunity to do something nice for the waitress.  I challenge you to show initiative and do the same. 
I don’t do this because I am a great guy, but because I am a member of the human race and this is how the good Lord intended humans to treat each other.  

“Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.Ephesians 4:32 NLT
 Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12 NLT

“Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patienceColossians 3:12 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment