pastorshane

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Labor of Love

Today I officiated a funeral for the mother of a longtime friend.
The whole family are “salt of the earth” and I consider it an honor to be their friend.  So preparing for today’s service was a pleasure and the family was terribly gracious. 
One of their few “requests” was that I would sing a couple songs.  I was to sing one song at the funeral service and “Amazing Grace” at the graveside.

I honestly would have sang “Yankee Doodle Dandy” if that made them happy.  So going into the service, I honestly had no idea what song they selected for me to sing. 

At the last minute, a quiet distinguished young man walked up and asked if I wanted him to sing with me. 

I believe that since everyone grieves in their own way, it is important that I remain flexible to the varying needs of each individual family member.  Different people express their grief in differing ways.  The bottom line is, at the end of the day, “no regrets”. 

So I tell the young man that I would be honored to sing with him.  The family had decided that we would sing “How Great Thou Art”.  So I made him a copy of the words and we determined which verses we would sing. 

I officiated the whole service and the very last item we had left on the agenda was our duet.  So I introduced him and asked him to join me at the front of the chapel. 

Honestly, I had no idea what to expect.  And frankly, I was keeping a very open mind with low expectations. 

As we began singing, I realized my partner is a highly trained professional with layers of skill that far surpass my own. 

I am still not sure what his exact training has been or how he uses his musical abilities but he could harmonize with very little effort. 

In fact, by the second verse, I found myself backing off and listening to his unexpected range and skill set. 

And for the first time in my career as a pastor, I witnessed a standing ovation at a funeral service.  The hearts of each person was blessed and moved by the heartfelt compassion expressed in song. 

I now know how Abraham Lincoln must have felt when he gave the Gettysburg Address: 
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here….”

No one in the chapel has any memory of anything I said during the service, but for the rest of their lives, they will for all times, remember the power of that duet singing "How Great Thou Art".  As one of their own family members, struggling with his own grief, stood up and blessed them with a heart rendering “labor of love”. 

Our “low hanging fruit” to take away from this blog is:  When God’s people gather in His name and humbly serve Him in ministering to those suffering ~ God shows up. 

 We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 1:3


No comments:

Post a Comment