pastorshane

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Tribute To My Friend

A Tribute To My Friend One of the kindest souls to ever grace this earth, passed away today -- while mowing his yard. This is a tribute to my friend.... thanks to him.... I can say I knew a true gentle giant. He was one of those incredibly rare individuals whose heart could not be contained by his fragile shell of a body. His infectious smile and calming touch.... impacted everyone and everyone who had the privilege to spend a few minutes in his humble quiet presence. Have you ever noticed that there is a rare occurrence that only happens a couple times in your lifetime -- you meet a kindred spirit -- a true friend. And the depths of character in this friend, demands nothing from you. A friend who only asks for the honor of your company for a few minutes. Months or years will go by without having any contact with this friend -- but when you do -- the quality of the friendship transcends time -- and it is as if..... time stood still and you simply pick up where you left off. What is odd about a friend of this quality is -- you would do anything in the world for this friend.... but of course, a friend of this quality would never ask. At a very young age, my friend was diagnosed with a terminal disease. He explained it to me but it became so complicated that I could never keep it all straight. What I do know is, the good Lord build a very special body to house the soul of this friend of mine. It had to be special because it would have to endure over 50 years of health issues that would crush a typical person. But not my friend, no matter the pain, no matter the most recent health setback..... he had a ready smile and a calm voice that assured whoever he met that God was still on His Throne and in control. I will miss his handshake. His handshake was an experience that always left me somewhere between humble and calmed.... all at the same time. His hand was so massive that it would wrap around my hand and I would feel assured he would never intentionally harm me. The next sensation I would experience when I shook his hand was relief..... relief that he was a gentle giant because a hand of that strength could crush mine without effort. Finally his handshake reassured me that he was in total control of his strength. It would never cross his mind to hurt someone. That my friends, is a rare and precious gift in this cynical world we live in. My friend lived with the assurance that the good Lord would walk him through the very worst this ol world has to offer. And as his body was wracked with pain.... his love and confidence in his Heavenly Father only grew through each experience. It was my honor to know you and be your friend. My only regret is that I didn't take the time to express this to you when I had the opportunity. So my friend, for now, as I face my next tomorrow..... you exist in the Heavenly realm.... where the good Lord has given you an eternal body -- finally free from the diseases and suffering this world offered..... and your heart is experiencing perfect peace, contentment and all the love that your Heavenly Father can bestow. See you soon my friend.... see you soon..... "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment