pastorshane

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Elusive Peace

I have a meeting coming up that concerns me.  There are more things that could go wrong than could go right. 
What I find interesting is, I have been running scenarios on all the things that could go wrong and my options for how I should respond or how I should not respond. 

This type of thinking is not only causing me an elevated level of stress but has led me to mentally fight battles that I have yet to face.  How silly is that?  I may be shooting rounds at a target that may never show up.  Fighting battles that may never happen.

I know, I know, I am the only person that does this.  But just humor me while I reveal my Achilles heel for a moment. 

When I allow my mind to “coast” on its own, for whatever reason, it naturally tends to “assume the worst”.  Which is why, I am sure, the Bible commands us to control our thoughts and only allow them to ponder things that are pleasing to God.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise"  Philippians 4:8

So our spiritual take-away from this adventure is, “When you are facing a difficult situation that is causing you stress, do you control your thoughts or do your thoughts control you? 

I know that sounds redundant but the heart of it is, do you turn things over to God or do you try to control them yourself? 

Think about this, God did not design us to control the weather.  So why would we base our happiness on the weather?  God controls the weather, so if you are unhappy with the weather, then in essence, your complaint is with God’s decision making.  That is dangerous ground. 

Think about this, God did not design us to control other people.  So why would we base our happiness on other people’s actions and attitudes?  We have no idea what work God is doing in other people’s hearts and lives.  So when I forget my role in the great scheme of things and feel the need to manipulate or control others, I am setting myself up for disappointment and failure.

I could go on with the scenarios but my point is simple, “God is God and (thankfully) I am not God.” 

Thank goodness.

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” 1 Peter 5:7

I will answer them before they even call to me.  While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers” Isaiah 65:24


No comments:

Post a Comment