pastorshane

Friday, May 18, 2012

Broken

There is a story of a shepherd that was observed feeding a lamb with a broken leg. Someone asked him how the lamb managed to break its leg.  The shepherd commented, “I broke the lamb’s leg myself”. 
The lamb would not stay with the flock and frequently wandered away.  When I called it, it would not come.  When I went after it, it would run away and would do its best to avoid me.  So I broke its leg so it would learn to rely on me, the shepherd to provide everything it needed.  The broken leg taught the lamb to trust me.  Now it knows that I am its shepherd and will take care of whatever it needs.” 
 
Sometimes, when we insist of going our own stubborn way and leading others astray, the good Shepherd will have to "break our leg" for our own good. The broken leg restricts our decision making and ability to run into trouble.  And it forces us to focus on the good Shepherd who loves and cares for us. 

 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. Hebrews 12:11

Many people are under the impression that once they are saved, they will instantly be free of all problems. 

Truth is, there will be problems, every day there will be problems…. but you will not be facing them alone. 

The Bible teaches us that Satan is the “Father of lies” (John 8:44).  This means he is on a mission to convince you that you can do it on your own – you don’t need anyone or anything.  Satan will tell you that you have everything you need to succeed, without submitting to God. 

Satan wants you to believe that God is the cosmic kill-joy and He will do everything possible to hold you back and keep you from having fun. 

“Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice”
Psalm 51:8
                                                                                                
Today’s Prayer: "Dear God, please give me the good sense to recognize You as my good Shepherd.  I need You to provide me the wisdom I need to submit to Your leadership and plan. Help me understand that Your discipline in my life is assurance that You are my Shepherd. Thank you for loving me enough to correct what displeases You. "

No comments:

Post a Comment