pastorshane

Monday, February 20, 2012

God Smiled

Faith isn't faith if you can see where you are going.

Sure-Things don't require faith.

You ONLY know if you have faith when.... the lights go out and you still have to move.

As many of you know, I love preaching on Sunday.
I feel like a NFL quarterback that stands on the sidelines chomping at the bit to be put back in the game. I can't wait for the music to grow silent, the children to file out to Sunday School, and everyone reach for the Bibles.
THAT my friends, is when I experience the power and presence of God.

Usually there are about 2-3 Sunday's a year when I am not in my pulpit.
It is rare but it does happen.
Usually it is because there is a missionary or some sort of guest speaker that God has sent our way.

Have you ever heard the old saying,
"If you want to hear God laugh -- tell Him your plans?"

So sit back and get comfortable because I have an amusing story to spin for you.

One of the highlights we enjoy at Garden Valley Community Church is a local family bringing their teenage daughters to our church for special music.

These young ladies are amazing and when word gets out that they are coming, the house is packed. To say we are blessed would be an understatement.

Well, the instrumental part of our church Worship Team is going on vacation and will be gone this upcoming Sunday SO the family of teenage singers agreed to take the service and spend about 30 minutes singing for us. BONUS

And a wonderful lady in our church had an amazing childhood that is heart wrenching and victorious all at the same time, and she asked if she could share of her testimony. BONUS

This upcoming Sunday is a SURE THING.... the music and sermon is both covered by 1st class blessings. I can't begin to express how excited I am for this upcoming Sunday.

My ONLY worry is where are I going to seat that many people?
GVCC has NEVER (in the 100+ year history) had 100 people for a Sunday morning service. And there is parking to consider and nursery and....

Then.... The good Lord smiled.... He decided it was time to take my faith out for a stroll.

The family that was going to sing had a death in the family and will be unable to attend.

The lady giving her childhood testimony had to reschedule.

And I have 2 funeral services this week for friends that have passed away.

So.... breathe....

God wired me a little differently.
I write sermons in my head.
When I physically sit down to type out my sermon notes,
it usually doesn't take very long because I have been working on it all week in my head.

So, as I type this, I am writing (in my head), a Bible Study for Tuesday morning, a Bible Study for Wednesday night, a Funeral & Graveside for Thursday, a Funeral & Graveside for Saturday, and a Sermon for Sunday morning.

Normally I "try" to spend 1 hour studying for every minute I spend speaking.
So if I preach a 30 minute sermon, I attempt to spend 30 hours praying and studying in preparation for the service.

However, by my calculations, I have approximately 6 hours of speaking time this week, which converts to "about" 360 minutes studying and praying. Obviously I have to adjust my study time to speaking time ratio.

I have 2 spiritual take-away points to this story:
(a) God is taking my FAITH out for a test drive this week.
And no, I don't freak out when faced with an unusual workload but next week my system will automatically shut down for a couple days. My brain goes into a vegetative state where nothing coherent is produced.

(b) PRAY FOR ME
"Pray that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ... Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should." Colossians 4:3-4