pastorshane

Friday, February 3, 2012

Blurred Lines

I clearly remember my U.S Army boot camp experience.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... When I was blessed with physical fitness and a full head of hair, the good Lord temporarily substituted my guardian angel with a U.S. Army drill sergeant.

My heavenly designated U.S. Army drill sergeant felt the need to explain the proper method of standing, sitting, walking, running, shaving, brushing teeth, and of course, standing in the chow line.

For whatever reason, he believed that I was hard of hearing and all instruction needed to communicated at the top of his lungs. In hindsight, he must have felt like a parent teaching a difficult child how to walk and talk. His training was effective and timeless.

Fast forward my life to a recent graveside funeral service that I officiated. The service was honored to have full military honors, complete with a bugle playing taps, 21 gun salute and the flag presentation to the grieving widow.

The Marine Corp Honor Guard showed up in their dress blues to honor their fallen brother. The Marine Corp consistently amazes me with their standard for discipline and respect. I consider it an honor to work with them.

When the bugle began to play taps, without realizing it, I cupped my hands (exactly like my drill sergeant instructed), my thumbs found the outside seam of my pants (exactly like my drill sergeant instructed), my heels were matched in a 45 degree angle (exactly like my drill sergeant instructed), and I felt my heart slow and my eyes level -- and for a brief moment, it seemed like time blurred and I was once again a warrior dressed in battle green, -- standing at attention, experiencing the fierce pride that comes from being part of a brotherhood of warriors.

During that brief moment in time, I realized that the line between who I am and what I do was blurred. The U.S. Army had transformed me from a kid with a 4 year Bible College experience into a skilled warrior.

The exact same principle reveals the Holy Spirit's work in our lives. The Holy Spirit will take us from immature believers that know very little about God or what He desires from us and transform us into mature "Saints" whose lives delight God.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.
      Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence,
      and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
      and make me willing to obey you.
Psalm 51:10-12

Our spiritual thought for today is,
"The Holy Spirit desires to erase the line between WHO you are and WHAT you do",
will you surrender control of your life to Him?