pastorshane

Sunday, February 5, 2012

God is God

"Yes, He humbled you by letting you go hungry and then feeding you with manna, a food previously unknown to you and your ancestors. He did it to teach you that people do not live by bread alone; but by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD" Deuteronomy 8:3

Today as I stood to preach, the good Lord nudged me and pointed out that NO ONE feels a desire to drive out in the dingle weeds to attend church (without indoor plumbing or bathrooms) on Super Bowl Sunday -- UNLESS they each one experienced a GOD GIVEN CALLING.

For years I (part time) attended Moody Bible Institute in Spokane. The drive to Spokane gave me time to study for tests and memorize my notes. All in all, that was a very amazing time in my life. I loved attending Moody. One morning I arrived early for my 8 am class, so I stopped at the Perkins on North Division.

While I was having breakfast and drinking my pot of coffee, a man stopped by my table and asked me if I was a "believer". I confessed that I am a Christian. He nodded and stated, "I am a science professor. Did you know that science has no idea what holds atoms together?"

I didn't want to admit my ignorance but he had mercy on me and continued, "The building blocks of the universe is held together by an invisible force that we can't identify or explain. Of course, you as a Christian knows exactly what holds the universe together, the Word of God. All God has to do is give the word and everything would cease to exist." The man walked off without a further word. I will always wonder if he was my encounter with an angel.

My point is this, each breath we take is simply a gift from God.

"Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow." James 1:17

Deuteronomy 8:3 is a practical lesson that if we are hungry, then God knows about it and is watching. If we choose to complain, they we are questioning whether God knows
what He is doing or not. When we grumble about our condition, we are expressing our displeasure with what God is doing in our lives.

The bottom line is, either you believe God is good, always, and in every situation or you believe you could do a better job if He would step back and give you full control.

Ain't gunna happen.

Why? God loves you.

"But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" Romans 5:8

 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16