pastorshane

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Don't Quit

I suspect that everyone at one time or another, has impulsively committed to something worthwhile, only to find out later that it was a lot more work than intended.

Since being impulsive comes naturally to me, my list of "good starts" is quite lengthy and my list of "strong finishes" is, less impressive.

Completing projects is something of a character builder for me. Since I am aware of this, it has become a daily discipline for me.

A few years ago, a Christian brother gave me a few months of guitar lessons and taught me just enough to be dangerous. However, when it reached that critical point where it becomes "work", I choked. I got "too busy" to continue with the lessons.

"Too busy" is another term for "quitting".

However, it came as a great shock to me when I discovered that, I actually missed playing the guitar. A well played acoustic guitar is like an expression of the soul.

So, I "noodled" with my guitar for a couple of years. By this, I mean I "self taught" off YouTube videos. That is just about as effective as learning to swim by reading a book.

Anyway, I met a guitar instructor named, Raleigh Naas in Colville at the House of Music. He seemed like a fun guy and handles an acoustic guitar like the wild man of Borneo. So I began taking weekly lessons from him.

Then it happened. My fun times instructor showed his true colors and is forcing me to learn music theory. Which is every bit as interesting and fun as watching paint dry. However, between my desire to build character by finishing and my love for the guitar, I sit down every day and study the homework he assigns me.

And to make it more interesting, I am not a natural at music theory. This means I have to struggle and work to grasp the concepts. And then figuring out how to translate the music concepts onto the strings of a guitar, has proven to teach me more discipline than I ever desired.

Your Spiritual thought for today is, "The thing that is the most work in your life, the thing that first pops in your your mind when you consider quitting something -- THAT is the thing God wants you to stick with and ride to the finish".

"Brethren, be not weary in well doing."
2 Thessalonians 3:13
 
"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9
 
"Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
Luke 9: 62
 
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13
 
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as you know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
1 Corinthians 15:58