pastorshane

Monday, February 6, 2012

God has a Plan

"You have always put a wall of protection around him and his home and his property. You have made him prosper in everything he does" Job 1:10

Satan was discussing God's servant, Job.

Satan's position was that Job ONLY loved God because of all the benefits that God poured into Job's life. Satan believed that Job's love was bought and paid for.

God's position was that Job loved from a pure heart and NOT as a response to God's blessings.

What I want you to take away from this verse is the "wall of protection around him and his home and his property".

Job's life pleased God in the good times BUT would his faith stand up to the pressures imposed by the bad times?

I was raised in an amazing Christian home by parents that loved God and walked the talk. What they believed, they lived 24/7.

Immediately out of high school I went to Bible College in Chicago for 4 years.

Looking back, I feel like Job. I was blessed and God protected me.

So the 50 cent question is, what would my faith look like when God lowered His "hedge of safety" and allowed Satan to put me to the test?

Enter the U.S. Army.

For the first time in my life, I was removed from everyone that held me accountable for my decisions and actions. God put me in Central America where I had no "hedge of safety".

I would LOVE to tell you that my faith held up to my 3 years of testing but... I am honest.

To humble me even further, in Panama, God led me to a very small group of Believers that welcomed me with open arms. God provided me a "hedge of safety" within the church -- if I chose to take refuge there. God gave me everything I needed to spiritually succeed.

This lesson taught me to be patient with people that are struggling in their commitment to church. I've been there, done that, and have the tee shirt.

The Christian life is a journey. Each of us are being transformed into Believers whose life's delight God. When He looks at your life, does He beam with pride at your attitude toward other Christians, toward your unbelieving family members & neighbors, with your devotion and commitment to His church, and your attitude and love for God Himself?

Where Job's faith stood fast, mine revealed many fault lines that needed growth and maturity.

Out of that season of darkness, my thirst for God's Word was unquenchable, I fell in love with the family of God (the church of Jesus Christ), and I was deeply broken and humble.

For that, I am forever grateful.

"we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better." Colossians 1:9-10