pastorshane

Saturday, December 31, 2011

God Nudged Me....

This is the third blog I have written today.

The first blog turned out to be a sermon that was so dry, tumbleweeds were bouncing across my IPad2 screen. I bet you don't have that app. That special feature lets me know when my writing is so boring that the computer begs me to stop.

The second blog reminded me of an airplane circling a fogged in airport. It was a nice ride but it just circled the airport endlessly, without a clue how or where to land. So in a act of mercy, I filed it under the title, "Open Never".

This third blog is a thank you to those of you that take the time to read my blogs.

Years ago, God gave me a desire to write. And to make it practical, He also called me to be a pastor. So each week, I wrote a number of sermons. I not only loved writing the sermons but it taught me how to work around deadlines, communicate difficult concepts, and refine the art of writing.

Garden Valley Community Church was kind enough to purchase me a web site to post my work on. They were very patient with me. But I didn't have a clear vision of what God wanted me to write and I didn't have my own voice. So I spent a couple years trying different techniques and methods. I needed the experience.

I found my voice and I refined my writing skills but my reader base got tired of waiting on me and moved on. So there were less than 20 people a month that checked out my web site.

When God nudged me and moved my thoughts toward writing a blog, my first impression was discouragement. I hated the thought of spending hundreds of hours writing and having no one bother to read them. God took me by the hand and led me to Blog Spot and like a child, walked me through the setup process. It only took a few minutes.

I sat and stared out the window and wondered what message God wanted me to write. If it is possible, God rolled His eyes and let out a deep sigh before placing my hands on the keyboard.

God told me, "Take a look at what I am doing in your life today and simply share it with your friends".

One of my great regrets about being a pastor is that I only get to communicate with my friends a couple times a week. My God given desire to communicate had finally found a medium.

So I started typing and a few days later, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and God lovingly provided me 1000 hits on my blog. And before you ask, no, the hit counter does not record my personal visits to the blog. To me, having God nudge my friends 1000 times to visit my blog is all the validation I need to work harder and improve the quality of the blog in 2012. God bless you and with all my heart, "Thank you".

I am reminded of one of my favorite Bible verses:
"I am the Lord your God.... open wide your mouth and I will fill it" Psalm 81:10