pastorshane

Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Parent's Make Christmas Special

When I was a kid, I lived for Christmas morning.
I couldn't sleep for a week before Christmas, eat up with anticipation.
To make it even more pathetic, I would tear around the scotch tape in
an effort to peak at my presents.
Of course, being the genius I am, it never crossed my mind that my folks
could detect the small tears in the wrapping paper.
In hindsight, I realize now that I wasn't near as subtle as I thought.
Every Christmas my presents looked like they were violated by a
steroid driven paper shredder.
My parents loved me enough to let me live with the delusion that
I got away with sneak'n peaks at my presents.
My parents were teaching me two life lessons.
First, choose your battles. 2 Chronicles 32:8 God works behind
the scenes bringing about success in areas we ought to leave alone.
Not every hill is worth dying on.
For instance, when it came to completing my math homework,
they were less understanding and tolerant.
And once again God came to my rescue by bringing me a wife that
is a highly skilled accountant. She more than makes up for my
inability to accurately crunch numbers.
Second, "love covers a multitude of sins". 1 Peter 4:8 Face it,
on occasion, in the interest of love, peace, and harmony, you just
have to allow non consequential glitches to ride past uncorrected.
Rubbing someone's face in a minor issue is not only humiliating
but creates resentment that demands retribution.
And as my friend Forrest Gump says, "And that's all I have to say
about that"

No comments:

Post a Comment