pastorshane

Thursday, December 15, 2011

God Never Wastes A Hurt

“All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.  When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us" 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 

When I was a child, my grandmother had a sign hanging in her kitchen that read, Don't criticize a man till you've walked a mile in his moccasins”.  Life has taught me a variation of that old saying, “After walking a mile in my friend’s moccasins, I am able to offer effective comfort and encouragement”. 

I noticed that after I had back surgery and suffered a few years of chronic back pain, that now there is a special place in my heart for people suffering with back injuries. 

I noticed that after losing both my grandmothers to cancer, that I can shed honest tears with those dealing with cancer. 

I noticed that after raising a step child that I can stand shoulder to shoulder with a step parent dealing with parenting issues and offer encouragement and wisdom. 

I noticed that after working in jail for 20 years, that I can effectively counsel people dealing with unhealthy decisions. 

I noticed that after spending years making impulsive decisions without prayer or godly counsel, that I can now offer insight to those needing a second chance. 

I could go on with this system of illustrations but the message is clear.  God allows his children to go through difficult times in order to mature them, strengthen their faith, teach them gratitude, and equip them with empathy for those He leads into their path needing a godly influence. 

“But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold”  Job 23:10

No comments:

Post a Comment