pastorshane

Friday, July 20, 2012

Waiting

Tomorrow I have 2 weddings to officiate. The first one is for a long time friend from the 911 Center and the other is a "wedding vow renewal" ceremony. Both are people that I have great respect for and am honored to be a part of their services. Tonight I find myself restless, reviewing the details for both services and putting together my sermon notes for Sunday's church service. I am not stressed or worried, I am content that anything God desires will always work out for the best. But as I assess my restlessness, I finally realized, I feel like a quarterback sitting on the bench, waiting for the coach to put him in the game. I love the moment when everything comes together and it is time for me to go to work. I imagine a quarterback practices 1000's of hours and reviews miles of training tapes and memorizes the playbook, for that moment when the coach slaps him on the head and says, "Get in there, you get the ball". What is interesting is, it doesn't have to be a church service, or a funeral (which I officiated one yesterday and another one today), or a wedding. I get just as excited when God allows me to sit down with 1 person and answer questions about life or God's Word or confusion about church. It honestly doesn't matter to me as long as I know God is using me in His service, in any capacity. Then there is another perspective that I find interesting. It is difficult for me to turn it off. Often I try to convince myself that I need to "slow down" or "take a break". But when you love what you are doing, it is difficult to shift down or kick it into neutral. If you love what you are doing, what do you do for recreation when you stop doing what you love? So this is when I step back and say, "Lord, your will be done, not mine". And I log off and the good Lord gives me the peaceful rest I need to complete His plans for me tomorrow. God bless and keep you. "As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart.   Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free." Ephesians 6:5-7

1 comment: