pastorshane

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Making a Difference

“Those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars for ever and ever” Daniel 12:3
 

A few years ago, I was the Jail commander.  I had a remarkable staff that I was very happy with and felt I was making a positive difference.  Then due to a back injury, I was forced to step down and leave the jail.  It was very difficult and I felt my work there was not finished.  I had a lot of plans that were unfinished. And I confess, I found a lot of my "self worth" in doing a good job leading the jail.   

I remember discussing this with my dad.  He listened to my “whining” and when I finally wound down, I remember he replied: “Son, do you want to know how long the jail will miss you after you leave? Go stick your finger in a bucket of water and pull it out very quickly ~ as long as the hole remains in the water ~ that is how long the jail will miss you leaving”. 

I confess that his wisdom wasn’t what I wanted to hear, but I notice they didn’t shut the jail down after I left.  Somehow they have managed to muddle on without me. Shocker huh….

Then the 20/20 hindsight kicked in. 

Dad was correct (as usual).  And I wanted to make sure that when I get to the end of this life –
that my life counted for something.  “assuming” that my life will be around 70 years (give or take)…. and I will be 50 this year…. That means I am entering the 4th quarter of the game and whatever impact I make on this life, needs attention ASAP. 

No, I am not being gloomy, instead, I am all fired up and excited.  I stumbled onto the Bible verse in Daniel 12:3, “Those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars for ever and ever”.

So now I ask myself, “WHAT is distracting me from leading many to righteousness?” 

How much of my time & energy is spent on “leading many to righteousness”?
Like it or not, everyone of us influence those around us ~ at all times ~ either for good or for evil. 

So what does “leading many to righteousness look like?  I’m glad you asked:

“My dear brothers and sisters, if someone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back, you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins” James 5:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment